Ashley Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chadleybuxton

Feb 27, 2020
Minnesota
Hello! I am looking for information on this Ashley Wood Stove. How efficient are they? how many square feet can they heat?
Ashley woodstove.jpg

That looks pre-EPA. Are there a baffle and firebrick inside? Does it have secondary tubes under the baffle? I suspect no.

It looks like a medium sized firebox. The area heated will depend on how well insulated it is, outside temps, wood burned and how often it is stoked. Maybe 500-1000 sq ft?

If possible, find a more modern stove. It will burn cleaner and use less fuel. How large an area do you need to heat? Ceiling height?

962 square feet with very high ceiling. I live in a 35' diameter yurt so the highest point is at about 17 feet then tapers down to about 7 feet. I am keeping an eye out for a wood stove that can heat over 2000 sq ft. I have your suggestions from an earlier post of mine written down and am keeping a look out. A reminder that my vogelzang mountaineer does an okay job heating the space, though it is not the most efficient. Won't need to upgrade until next winter rolls around, so I have plenty of time to look! Thanks again begreen for your timely help!

Yes, I am used to yurt heating. I helped a friend put theirs in their 36' yurt. We are in a milder climate so it does well down to around 25º if you are willing to get up in the middle of the night to reload. They chose the stove (Morso 2110) which is ok, but not one I recommended. An ideal yurt stove is going to be able to heat over a wider temperature range and not be very fussy about draft. A Woodstock Fireview or a mid-sized Pacific Energy stove are possibles.