ASHterburner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hank_612

Jan 13, 2018
Southern IL
I built this house in the spring and moved from out of state this summer. I have a Montecito estate fireplace with a cat in my basement. I have CSSed about 12 cords this year. During the summer I sought out every ash tree on my 40 acres and a few others around at friends and families houses. I have burned 2.75 cords this year all CSSed in 2018. The moisture content of the splits was around 25% when I split it this summer and is 19-22% on the splits I just resplit today. I have 3 cords of ash for next year and I have about 5 cords of oak and .5 cord of hickory I am hoping to be able to burn in 2020.

I am thrilled with my good fortune and have been happy burning 90% Ash. My dad raised me that if it isn't Red Oak, White oak or maybe hickory it's not worth messing with. For whatever reason people in my area of Southern Illinois hold ash in low regard. If it wasn't for this forum I would have probably paid thru the nose for "seasoned oak". It is a shame EAB is whiping out all the ash around here. If it were up to me I would definitely keep Ash in my woodstove/fireplace.

It is going to be single digits tonight and my place in holding 75 and using no propane. I kicked in the ASHterburner

Attachments

• 20190129_165909.jpg
    20190129_165909.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I have plenty of ash on my 175 acres , with very few being killed by the EAB. It seems the borers moved through my area very quickly going north. 45 to 50 miles north you have to look long and hard to find a live ash tree. Ash , beech, hard maple and black cherry are my favorite woods in that order. I can't believe people pay almost double for cherry , a wood that is on par with birch.

I have plenty of ash on my 175 acres , with very few being killed by the EAB. It seems the borers moved through my area very quickly going north. 45 to 50 miles north you have to look long and hard to find a live ash tree. Ash , beech, hard maple and black cherry are my favorite woods in that order. I can't believe people pay almost double for cherry , a wood that is on par with birch.
Probably because people cook more with cherry. Yummy!

Reactions: D8Chumley
Ash and Cherry keeping me warm right now!!