Asking price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MGuitteau

Mar 21, 2020
Waterville, Ohio
I purchased a home that has a Controlled Combustion Wood-Burning Room Heater by Monarch. I'm not interested in keeping it because the room it's in is small, and I had a chimney sweep company tell me not to run it because the chimney pipe goes straight through the wood paneling to the outside (he said it'd be a $1000 fix to take it all apart and install a nipple). I'm thinking of trying to sell it but have no idea what a fair asking price would be, or what that might entail. I'd sell the stack on the outside of the house with it.

Attachments

• IMG_2202.JPG
    IMG_2202.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2210.JPG
    IMG_2210.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2209.JPG
    IMG_2209.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2208.JPG
    IMG_2208.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2207.JPG
    IMG_2207.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2203.JPG
    IMG_2203.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2204.JPG
    IMG_2204.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2205.JPG
    IMG_2205.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2206.JPG
    IMG_2206.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 97
That looks to be in decent condition and UL tested. It might go for $250. Note that the wood paneling might have been installed after the chimney was installed. It would be good to inspect and see if there is a thimble in the wall around the chimney pipe, then covered over by the paneling. If so, it is still usable. If not, it might not be a big deal to install. $1000 seems pretty high to do that job, but the only way to tell is to cut out a bit of the paneling surrounding the chimney pipe and explore. A decent carpenter could do this in a couple hours. The chimney pipe is worth much more than the stove if it is in good condition. If you want to get rid of everything then $500 would be a fair price.

That looks to be in decent condition and UL tested. It might go for $250. Note that the wood paneling might have been installed after the chimney was installed. It would be good to inspect and see if there is a thimble in the wall around the chimney pipe, then covered over by the paneling. If so, it is still usable. If not, it might not be a big deal to install. $1000 seems pretty high to do that job, but the only way to tell is to cut out a bit of the paneling surrounding the chimney pipe and explore. A decent carpenter could do this in a couple hours. The chimney pipe is worth much more than the stove if it is in good condition. If you want to get rid of everything then $500 would be a fair price.
Thanks for your reply!