Assembling split stove pipe sections... Wth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverwheel

Burning Hunk
Oct 18, 2013
USA
The sections of black stove pipe from the stove to the wall... They have a seam to fasten... It is supposed to snap into place...

Even the one piece I did get snapped doesn't look good to me. Is there a trick to doing this or is this type of pipe just good for frustrating people?

Does Tractor Supply sell stove pipe already whole? (Bought these at Lowe's)

I used double wall black pipe. It's much better at holding the heat so as not to condense creosote and it assembled. For seamed vent pipes I always found that you had to get an angle that would allow you to push the edge of one side into the channel of the other side and then when let it go back to round it was locked in. Many places sell double wall. It's more expensive but it's the way to go imo.

For purposes of positioning the stove and the chimney, I should be able to use these sections as templates and replace them once the stove is connected "for real"? That is, the sections will be the same dimensions in width and length...

Plan B it is! (I'll position with these but buy the double wall to install)

You can get telescoping sections that make it easy, both double wall and higher quality single wall. Makes it easier to disassemble for cleaning, as well.

The snap together single wall would be my last choice, but that is what they carry at the local hardware and box stores. You can find better stuff from your local stove shop or online retailers.

Forget all about this crap pipe! You don't need any type of templet. Both double wall and welded seam 22 gauge single wall will have sips sections. This allows the pipe to telescope, so there's no need for an exact fit.

I certainly will. I did use it to position things so I install the through the wall kit in the right place though! The stove is on a diagonal in the corner.

Is there a trick to doing this or is this type of pipe just good for frustrating people?

No. Yes. Get some 22 ga. welded seam single wall or some double wall, and do it right without all the frustration. Rick

You can get telescoping sections that make it easy, both double wall and higher quality single wall. Makes it easier to disassemble for cleaning, as well.

The snap together single wall would be my last choice, but that is what they carry at the local hardware and box stores. You can find better stuff from your local stove shop or online retailers.
Menards is a big box store and they carry the good stuff, double wall interior black pipe and Selkirk class a insulated SS pipes but you might not me fortunate enough to live by a Menards store.

To answer your question, you have to bend the sections almost into a 'V' shape and then they click together and come back to be round again. A cross section as you are clicking it together would look like a heart shape with a round bottom. Long sections are a PITA. Start at one end and get someone to help you hold the other end as much bent in as possible. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

If you have 2 pieces, you can practice it easier by assembling one to the other. They will click apart the same way they went together.

Yup, double wall is the way to go. Way more expensive but worth it.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Menards is a big box store and they carry the good stuff, double wall interior black pipe and Selkirk class a insulated SS pipes but you might not me fortunate enough to live by a Menards store.

I was referring to the cheap single wall.

I've used Menard's for three chimneys, with double wall connector ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.