Astria montecito - insulation wet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tje76

May 20, 2018
Texas
This fireplace was installed yesterday in a new build. Today we had storms. I'm guessing flashing around chimney area leaked. Water dripped on top of until. I can see through a vent of some kind it looks like insulation and it's wet. I'm assuming this needs opened up and removed.
20180520_083838.jpg 20180520_083821.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that looks like the hot air vent port. The insulation has gotten wet. That is sloppy work by the contractor. They should have tarped it if the topside is not sealed with storm collar caulked and a cap on top. Good that this was caught before the fireplace was enclosed.

It should be dried out asap. Will there be ducting connected off of the hot air ports? Has the chimney been installed?

First chimney section it's on, but could easily be removed. No ducting will be done. I've sent pics to my builder.

They messed up. It may take removing the duct port and putting a heater in the unit to dry the insulation out. That or get a fire going in it. The duct port could be covered with a sheet metal patch after the insulation dries out. Or tell the contractor they just bought a fireplace.