Astria Montecito vs Montecito Estates For A 2500 SQ/FT Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AtTheCross

May 10, 2018
CA
Hello all -

I am excited and thankful to be getting a wood burning fireplace. I really like Astria's Montecito but my home is 2500 sq/ft single story. Do I need the Montecito Estate to heat the house? I am living in Flagstaff, Az. It would be nice to save the $ but I only want to buy the unit once. Any thoughts/personal experiences on the matter would be appreciated. FYI...The home is tight and well insulated.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many options for good EPA fireplaces including some in between these two in size. Tell us more about the house. Lots of glass? Extra high ceilings? How open is the floorplan to the area where the fireplace will be installed?

What wood is available in your area and what are typical daytime/nighttime temps in December?

The ceilings are 9'. Pine and juniper are the main available wood types with a little oak. The home is an open floor plan with the family room with the fireplace and the kitchen/dining room measuring about 40' x 40'. I am trying to get away from using Propane to heat the home. In December the typical daytime temps are in the 30's and the nights in the high teens and low 20's

The bigger Estate sounds like a better fit. It's a catalytic fireplace that should be able to do a lower burn in milder weather.