Astroflamm free standing stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Levesque87

Dec 29, 2017
Maine
I have the older astroflamm, It was in the house when I bought the house.

Since owning the stove for 2 years I have replaced both motors, the combustion, and the convection blower/motors.

The problem I have is I leave the stove on medium setting, or the nob straight up. I don't have a thermostat attached to it. The stove will run like a champ for 2-4 hours. then it slows down, stays lite but it doesn't produce 1/3rd of the heat It was. I have looked in the manual and used good old google. But I am not sure even what to search for.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

sounds like it may have a built in thermostat. Looks like thats the way all the newer ones are

Why did you replace both fan motors?
It sounds like an air flow issue, when was the last time it was cleaned? pulling off the cast iron grates and cleaning heat exchange tubes and making sure the four holes at the bottom are clear, they are easy to miss. It also may be time to clean exhaust flue.
I had similar problem, would run ok for an hour or so then surging fans poor heat output etc had chimney swept and completely tore apart stove even removing heat exchange tubes.
Ran like a champ afterwards like it is supposed to.

Reactions: Mt Bob
What Mark said.Pull up both scrapers,after removing the back panels,look in there,at the bottom,behind the tubes,4 rectangular? holes.They can plug up.Also,the channel they go into fills up.Pull combustion blower,stick vacuum cleaner in,and,on right side(facing stove) there is a small plate,on the back of that channel,that you can vacuum and run a brush through.I never do,as is in basement,and have an air compressor down there,I blow in those holes while vacuum is running in combustion motor opening.Also,as he said,complete flue has to be clean,we already have seen at least 3 cases this winter,where they were brushed from the inside,but the top caps were plugged.I still have both combustion fan and convection fan,original,but have replaced bearings in the combustion fan,and a bushing in the convection fan,and I used to burn 5-6 tons a year.

I had to replace the two motors, the combustion blower needed two bearings so I tore it down and replaced them. The convection blower did not work when we bought the house.

after reading this last night I took the stove all apart and got to the small holes in the back and with a coat hanger I got them cleaned. The glass isn't black anymore after running all night and its working as good as it ever has.

thank you all for the help.

I had to replace the two motors, the combustion blower needed two bearings so I tore it down and replaced them. The convection blower did not work when we bought the house.

after reading this last night I took the stove all apart and got to the small holes in the back and with a coat hanger I got them cleaned. The glass isn't black anymore after running all night and its working as good as it ever has.

thank you all for the help.
Make sure you clean out that chamber behind those holes. You can access it from the right side by removing the "port hole" cover and sticking narrow vacuum hose in there.

Good rule of thumb....when you use external scrapers for cleaning rods, hold up rod then let it drop, when stove is clean when rod is dropped it sounds metallic, when ash is building up there is more of a metallic thud, at least it will give you a barometer of when you may need to pull apart.
Glad though your up and running again!

Last edited: