Attaching to ceramic thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RSliker

Mar 13, 2017
Edinboro, Pa
I have a newly constructed masonary chimney that was put up two years ago along with foundation work for a large garage addition. I am planning a basement installation of an older timberline wood stove that is in great shape. The chimney is accessed by a 10" ceramic thimble that extends 7" into the basement through a block wall foundation. The thimble is about 5 feet off the floor and has 2 full blocks above it (16") to a wooden wall cap and floor joists.
What is the best way to attach single wall stove pipe to the wall thimble? An 8" stove outlet pie is needed but the od of this pipe is a full 1/2" smaller than the id of the wall thimble. Can a short section of pipe be set in place with mortar or are special adapters available for this purpose? Can I leave the thimble the length it is or should I trim it flush or closer to the wall? Thanks for the input in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 76