Attic insulation for stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Keydiver1

Oct 11, 2021
Lake Tahoe
I’m just getting back on this forum after 10 years.

Long story but back in my house in the Tahoe area. If you search for my previous posts. Take the 1 off my user name. Yes my Waterford is still running well!

I was looking at some other posts and I’m wondering if I should add some rock wool insulation to the 3 - 4 feet of pipe in the attic. The pipe extends 4 feet above the roof line.

Just wondering if this would cut down on creosote build up.

Thanks

Welcome back. No insulation can be wrapped around class A pipe. The creosote problem likely has another cause. The first suspect is wood that is not fully seasoned. The second is that the stove is either not running right or there is air leakage cooling down the flue gases or the fire is smoldering. Do you have a flue thermometer on the stovepipe? If so, what is a typical operating temp?

If you could post some pictures of the stove and the connector we may be able to spot something else.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

The pine is dry as it gets. Got remarried 5 years ago and got access to dry oak that’s been cut down and drying for a few years. Her friends down the west slope of the Sierras.

I’m burning it correctly. Was just hoping if adding a insulation layer would help.

We will convert to a gas stove before we sell and move in a few years.

New home owners aren’t looking for wood stoves

Normally a modern stove that is running well on a properly sized flue system doesn't get much soot or creosote buildup in it unless it's a cat stove burning low and slow with a cool flue or one with a long, cold, exterior flue system.

It’s single wall to the 8 foot ceiling. Double wall pipe through the attic to the roof.

It’s not a big deal was just looking for options.

Thank y’all

image.jpg

That's a short run. I'm surprised that you are getting creosote buildup.

That's a short run. I'm surprised that you are getting creosote buildup.
Dry pine but still creosote from sap.

Still 8 to 10 feet double wall pipe through attic and roof

Plus extremely cold temps.

It’s managemeable. Not a big deal.

I need to sweep once mid winter

Again. Thanks!

Well burned (in a modern stove) and truly dry pine should not be giving more creosote than other wood.

Regarding the oak, how do you know that it's dry?

Moisture meter how? On a freshly re-split surface of a piece that is at room temperature?
Standing dead oak does not mean it's dry - and in fact, can be very wet.