Auber flue probe install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jparker

Oct 17, 2019
PNW
I getting ready to install an Auber flue probe on my DW. The instructions only state to drill two 1/8” holes (one for probe, one for included mounting screw). Any additional advice from anyone that has installed one?

Also, I assume it should it be installed 18” above the stove top like other probes. Is that correct?

Thanks

Yes and yes.

Put these holes on the back! So you can try to hide the wire.

Is this probe suitable for single wall pipe too? Liking the idea of more accurate and timely temperature measurement.

Put these holes on the back! So you can try to hide the wire.

Is this probe suitable for single wall pipe too? Liking the idea of more accurate and timely temperature measurement.
I believe so. I know many have used regular probe thermometers on single wall as well. The calibration may be off slightly but I doubt it is enough to matter at all

Reactions: Highbeam
Installation was simple and quick.

Last year was my first year burning and I always had the feeling that I didn’t have a clear understanding of how the stove was operating at any given point in time. So I hope having visibility to the flue temps helps with that.

Regarding flue temps, what min-max temp range should I shoot for at startup/loading and mid-burn cycle?

Thanks

Installation was simple and quick.

Last year was my first year burning and I always had the feeling that I didn’t have a clear understanding of how the stove was operating at any given point in time. So I hope having visibility to the flue temps helps with that.

Regarding flue temps, what min-max temp range should I shoot for at startup/loading and mid-burn cycle?

Thanks

Here’s what condar thinks about proper internal flue temperatures.
B1499D92-DBBB-49ED-A1FE-58172E190D9F.jpeg

So keep her between 400 and 900.

I've never seen one of those stove top gauge that goes to 1600 degrees. Oh, is that for internal chimney? My Oslo is red hot at 700. Luckily I don't need to run any hotter than 500.

Reactions: Highbeam
I've never seen one of those stove top gauge that goes to 1600 degrees. Oh, is that for internal chimney? My Oslo is red hot at 700. Luckily I don't need to run any hotter than 500.
If your Oslo glows red at 700 stovetop, the thermometer is reading wrong.

Right, I regularly cruise over 700 on a plate steel stove. Totally within normal operating limits.

The pictured meter is a dedicated internal probe style flue gas thermometer. The mechanical version of the auber probe that is the subject of this thread.

It’s slower to react and probably less accurate but it works and I can read it from across the room.

Ha!, there all right. I think all my stove top thermometers max out around 7- 800 degrees. Perhaps, "red hot" was poor description and a bit of exaggeration. But when it's running north of 700 you know it. The cast iron starts smelling real hot and new expanding moans. You just know running a stove routinely at those temps is not healthy for the stove. Fortunately I don't need to run my stove anywhere near 700. It's more than 20 years old and is as good as the day it was new.