Auber Flue Thermometer Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

secret1122

Jan 8, 2021
Georgia
After spending several weeks studying this site, I've gained way more knowledge than I ever expected that I needed to know. I might complete my stove installation today and start my first burn ever in a wood stove. There is one question I have that I haven't been able to get answered from searching this site.

I bought an Auber AT200 to read flue temperatures. The unit did not come with any paperwork. I found the user manual online, but can not find anything on installation, only information on how to program and use it. I know from this site that the hole should be 1/8", and it should be 18-23" above the stove. My first question is, does anyone know where I can find installation instructions (just to have for my own records)? Second, the wording I keep seeing on this site says to install 18-23" "above" the stove. If my stove pipe is angled (still figuring if it'll be a 90° or 45° angle from the stove into the fireplace alcove), is that 18-23" measurement literally ABOVE the stove, or just the distance of pipe FROM the stove?

If it weren't for this site, I wouldn't even have that drill hole diameter, nor the stove pipe distance for measuring. Where did you all get that information? I was surprised at the fact that this came with no paperwork. Thanks everyone for any help that you can provide, and for all the knowledge that's already been given on this site. Such a wealth of information.

Post a few pics of your setup. Should get some Auber users advice.

They expect you to be a freaking scientist. You can print the online directions but you’ll only need them once to set the alarm and figure out which plug goes where.

I would go 18-20” of pipe length above the stove. If you’re on an angle I would not drill the hole on top. Thinking about it now, wouldn’t really want it on the bottom either.

I sure like my at200.

7B4353A1-28C8-4262-9E5F-7D924757F428.jpeg

Reactions: Gearhead660
I will get some photos up soon. The stove pipe is not quite installed, as we are having trouble getting everything to fit right. It's the last thing we need to put together, but it just won't align correctly.

This brings up another question. We are having trouble getting the pipe to fit into the stove. It doesn't seem to seal well over the stove, and then we have no idea how to secure it. If we use screws, and go through the outer wall of the stove pipe, the holes in the stove, and then the inner wall of the pipe, how to we secure the screws so they dont just slide out? Do we use a nut on the other side? Doesn't any part of the screw end sticking into the stove outlet pipe just melt when we get a good fire going? We are at a loss as to how to attach this securely.

Attachments

• 20210109_193812.jpg
    20210109_193812.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 20210109_193822.jpg
    20210109_193822.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 185
Is that single-wall stovepipe or double-wall? What brand?

It's Duravent double wall. We just this second finished screwing in the last screw. It's together, but I'm wondering about 2 things.

One, the stovepipe is connected to the stove and the three screws are through the outer wall, through the hole in the stove exit pipe, but not through the inner wall of the stovepipe. So basically the screws are keeping the stovepipe from lifting off the stove, but they are loose to the point where I could theoretically pull them out with my fingers if I really jiggled them just right. I don't know how to secure them. That is shown in the close up photo. Should I use a thicker screw to hold better, but still not penetrate the second wall?

Second, about 40" above the stove is where the stovepipe connects to the ceiling support box, and it's held on with the screws through the stovepipe and into the connector for the support box, meaning they are inside the flue. Are they okay there or are they in danger of melting? I can offer any other photos that you may request.

Attachments

• 20210109_213923.jpg
    20210109_213923.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 20210109_213934.jpg
    20210109_213934.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 185
The screws will not melt. They should pierce the inner wall at the stove connection. Don’t tighten them so tight that the outer wall is crushed.

I have a duravent ceiling box and double wall but the screws do not enter the flue. Just go through the outer wall. Are you sure you have the right parts at the top?

The screws will not melt. They should pierce the inner wall at the stove connection. Don’t tighten them so tight that the outer wall is crushed.

I have a duravent ceiling box and double wall but the screws do not enter the flue. Just go through the outer wall. Are you sure you have the right parts at the top?

I just completed my break-in fire. Once cooled, I will change the screws that connect the stovepipe to the stove connection and make sure they penetrate the inner wall as you suggest. As for the ceiling box, it seems that somewhat recently Duravent has changed what they put in the "close clearance connector kit," which is what we bought. It used to contain the DVL double wall chimney adapter with trim, but now it only comes with what they call "Durablack/DVL chimney adapter with trim," which is a single wall connection piece. After reading the instructions, it says that this is compatible with the DVL double wall pipe system. It even came in the kit with all the other double wall stovepipe pieces, so that's what we used. Therefore, our screws have to go through the outer and inner wall of our stovepipe and into the only connector piece which happens to be a single sheet of metal. That puts the screw ends/tips into the inside of all the pipe, i.e., into the flue.

I know I have two subjects going on in the same thread, but back to my question about distance for the Auber probe. Here is a photo of my setup. Do I measure 18-20" of distance ABOVE the stove (meaning literal height going straight up), or just 18-20" along the stovepipe, following the curves?

Attachments

• 20210110_093453.jpg
    20210110_093453.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 230
18-20” downstream of the stove measured along the center of the pipe so somewhere in the straight section. If you put the thermocouple on the very bottom you risk any interior condensation dripping out. Even if that normal interior condensation at startup will eventually dry out it could drip out and be stanky.

The heritage used to be switchable to rear vent. Guess not with the cat.

Last edited:
18-20” downstream of the stove measured along the center of the pipe so somewhere in the straight section. If you put the thermocouple on the very bottom you risk any interior condensation dripping out. Even if that normal interior condensation at startup will eventually dry out it could drip out and be stanky.

Thank you, that was very helpful. You mentioned the other day that you wouldn't put the probe on the bottom, and this morning I read that to my wife and told her that you didn't specify WHY. Now you have. We'll probably install it on the side, just as it would have been had we had a vertical pipe.

Interesting. Did you try out the back with 2 - 45's? That would have given you better drafts/starts and less horizontal run.

Thank you, that was very helpful. You mentioned the other day that you wouldn't put the probe on the bottom, and this morning I read that to my wife and told her that you didn't specify WHY. Now you have. We'll probably install it on the side, just as it would have been had we had a vertical pipe.

Even if the probe hole is just a couple inches away from the very bottom. That should keep you out of the little creek that could form but less visible.

The question of how to anchor the stovepipe to the flue collar came up recently.
It still is, we just liked the look of the pipe coming out of the top better.
If it functions well then ok, though it adds two additional 90º turns and it looks a bit wonky. Rear exit would be a cleaner look.