Auber on single wall question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

weee123

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2022
NJ
So I’ve got my Auber 200 installed into single wall pipe. My question is regarding the temp readings of it. Since it’s not dead in the center of the flue gases (1” off center) will that significantly affect readings?

Im getting only about a hundred degree difference between internal temp and external temp as shown in pics

IMG_5425.jpeg IMG_5424.jpeg

When the flue gases hit an elbow they slow down a bit which allows them to heat up the surface there more. This is one of the reasons I am hesitant to apply the 2x temp rule to internal flue gas temps on single wall stovepipe. It's a rough approximation at best. Try a surface temp reading on the pipe 6" above the elbow to see if that correlates better to the 2x rule.

You don’t have to stick the probe in all the way. Experiment and see how much being off center changes temp readings. I’m guessing not a lot. Now my probe is right above my damper. And if it’s in the hot gas stream or over a solid part does effect reading.

I’m pretty sure it was the same difference when I held the ir gun near the probe as well. Are you able to move how much the probe sits in there?

It’s definitely only picking up the temperature that the side wall is. Would making spacers to keep it off the side of the pipe help?

Well, so now it’s picking up the proper internal flue temp as it’s registering just about double what the surface temp is. Odd, but I’ll take it.

Well, so now it’s picking up the proper internal flue temp as it’s registering just about double what the surface temp is. Odd, but I’ll take it.
What changed?

What changed?
I’m not exactly sure. I pulled the probe out to see if i could adjust how deep it sits, saw that I couldn’t, then stuck it back in a few days ago. This morning’s fire it was reading internal temp based off it was around double the external temp.

I have an Auber on single wall pipe. My flue temp is almost exactly double the exterior pipe temp. Right now the flue temp is 333 and the stove pipe temp is 165

Reactions: weee123