Augar jam new lesson learned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reeltime

Nov 22, 2013
East freetown
I have a hearthstone heritage pellet stove,when I got out of bed this am message no pellets.I then opened hopper full ok augar jam removed all pellets plate vacuumed but all back together started stove 15 minutes later no pellets again related steps 2 more times same thing.Oh yeah tube full each time not dropping well thought about it for a minute got a coat hanger poke up tube from firebox all jammed up new lesson learned today.

Not a costly lesson other than your time... those are the better ones to have;) Curious on why it would jam up - long pellet lengths?

Hello

Cleaning the fire box with a damp rag can cause that. Moisture goes right up the auger chute.
Also a gummy dirty auger bearing can do it.
See sintered bronze bearings in your manual.
I prefer the nylon or nylatron bearings
Pic - 1 Hearthstone pl
Pic - 2 dirty gummy bearing example

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 122
Hello

Cleaning the fire box with a damp rag can cause that. Moisture goes right up the auger chute.
Also a gummy dirty auger bearing can do it.
See sintered bronze bearings in your manual.
I prefer the nylon or nylatron bearings
Pic - 1 Hearthstone pl
Pic - 2 dirty gummy bearing example
Thanks still burning here so after heating season I will check and replace again thank you all.

I have a hearthstone heritage pellet stove,when I got out of bed this am message no pellets.I then opened hopper full ok augar jam removed all pellets plate vacuumed but all back together started stove 15 minutes later no pellets again related steps 2 more times same thing.Oh yeah tube full each time not dropping well thought about it for a minute got a coat hanger poke up tube from firebox all jammed up new lesson learned today.

For those of us with stoves without automated message technology, a small compact mirror and a flashlight or head lamp beam bounced off it from the firebox end of the pellet drop chute can usually visualize the pellets bridged at the top of the auger chute. The fix is the same 'coat hanger' treatment that you did.

Glad you figured it out reeltime- good trouble shooting lesson learned ! :)

The coat hanger trick is the first thing I do when ever I don't have pellets falling, after having a couple jams. Once it was just pellets. Once it was a firetruck! (Micromachine tiny little toy cars). I since banned Micromachines from that room. Also have a mirror (ripped out of a makeup compact case) dedicated to the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.