auger motor gearbox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyDave

Feeling the Heat
Nov 22, 2011
western wa
I opened my gearbox up carefully and had gears fall. I cleaned all gears and inspected looking for anything . then set out to figure oiut which gear went where. couple tries and done. greased it up with some hightemp grease. got it reinstalled quiet as a mouse for several hours. then loud noise it jams loud clank and now it sounds like loose ungreased roller bearings, still works tho. will inspect it next cleaning

Don't wait, the gearbox may be in self destruct mode now.

Bill

PS. The one item that I figured would go bad is the auger motor/gearbox, and I have a spare on hand.

Order one now so if/when it dies at midnight, you can swap out motors when you need it, and not need to wait for delivery.

Bill

every gear is on a shaft. no broken teeth. I am not afraid to run this gearbox for several more heating seasons. it is way easier than an eaton 14613 rto transmission total rebuild. added more grease. quiet as a mouse again now. oh noise was the updated bearing junk getting a adjustment on the cheap sheetmetal nut that came with it.

Probably a Chinese nut:)

Why not directly power the motor/gearbox for a minute or two and let her run in and get the grease distributed, just to be sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.