Automatic vs Manual on Harmon XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dataman

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2018
Newport, Wa
Normally we have 20f at night or colder. But last couple weeks it's been 28-32f. So I just save a little wear and tear and keep the fire going by switching to Manual vs Auto. Last couple days ran it in AUTO. Yesterday burned 20% of a bag of pellets keeping house 74f (Hallway). Today looks the same or less (It's 32f and 2" of new Wet Snow). In the day when it warms up to 36f I switch it off. Strange winter so far. Last year we burned 3 tons. Looks like at most 2 tons this year with 35 bags on porch still. In March will switch to Furnace if the temps hold above 30f and no snow. On Manual we were burning 1/2-3/4 bag. Quite a savings. Still need to get spare part on hand for when it fails in 10 years I hope.

Reactions: Washed-Up
With my P68, the stove puts out a lot more heat on manual, because the stove gets HOT and stays hot. I leave the fan dial set to max, and it will kick on and off as needed to maintain the temperature I set it at.

On auto, the stove will get hot until it statisfies the room, then it cools down and shuts completely off and gets cold. Then it'll kick back on and start it all over again. Of course the length it runs depends on outside temp. I guess if the area you're heating is big enough, the stove would never really shut off in auto... but at least for my stove it would have to be a huge space, or really poorly insulated for that to happen.

My stove is on Manual right now. When warmer (28f) I run Auto it uses less pellets. At least 1/4 less. Right now it's sucking them (-5f Outside). Large Flame

IMG_20220223_045400343.jpg