Harmon XXV-TC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MeghonFire

Jan 9, 2016
Maine
Hi all, I have had my XXV going on 7 years. Most years I run it as ancillary heat but this winter we have tried to use it to keep the house from using too much oil. So it’s been getting a lot more use. Burning a bag of pellets every 1-2 days. I’ve been doing daily scraping and weekly cleanings (just the easy stuff, not combustion fan). Tonight it was going full blast in room temp mode and we couldn’t get it to turn down. The room temp display kept fluctuating as we watched, which I have never seen before. The stove also got very hot to the touch which is unusual. I ended up unplugging because turning it off didn’t feel like it was going to be fast enough, and I couldn’t tell if it was even trying to shut down. The flames were very large. Ideas on what might be wrong? I feel it’s too young to die on me…

Might have to replace the probe then…that’s what I would try…

Possibly yeah, hard to tell.

For some reason it’s working again. I guess the ghost in the machine went back to sleep

If it happens again, try another outlet…and yeah triplite is what most here use but any reputable surge protector is recommended as these mother boards aren’t cheap

Reactions: ABusWrench
Ok thanks. yeah it wouldn’t shut off again today so to the dealer I go I guess

Not getting any trouble codes?

All was working well again for a week. Last night while we were sleeping the thing died. No power to the touch screen or anything. I unplugged it and started it up again but it’s weird. Still no error codes. I am going to get a surge protector though just in case

Maybe check to see that your wiring harness is securely plugged into the mother board

To follow up, the wiring looked okay. I gave it a little jiggle and nothing untoward has happened since then with the stove shutting off. I also put it on a surge protector, thanks for that advice! BUT, the room temp sensor is going haywire again. I'm thinking this would be more related to the room temp probe than the ESP? I have a service request out. I also have never changed the door gasket. How would I know if it's time? Or is it just something that needs to be done occasionally? I'm probably not clever enough to change it myself, so would add that on to my service request. I have the stove cooking in manual mode right now, which is working just fine. The only thing is having it on all night... we like to let the house get pretty cool. Is it okay to run it on a really low burn rate over night? Like 1.0? Otherwise I think we would go through too many pellets. 2400 sq foot, two story house with insulated basement. Stove is on the first floor.

Thanks for all the support and knowledge

To follow up, the wiring looked okay. I gave it a little jiggle and nothing untoward has happened since then with the stove shutting off. I also put it on a surge protector, thanks for that advice! BUT, the room temp sensor is going haywire again. I'm thinking this would be more related to the room temp probe than the ESP? I have a service request out. I also have never changed the door gasket. How would I know if it's time? Or is it just something that needs to be done occasionally? I'm probably not clever enough to change it myself, so would add that on to my service request. I have the stove cooking in manual mode right now, which is working just fine. The only thing is having it on all night... we like to let the house get pretty cool. Is it okay to run it on a really low burn rate over night? Like 1.0? Otherwise I think we would go through too many pellets. 2400 sq foot, two story house with insulated basement. Stove is on the first floor.

Thanks for all the support and knowledge
Regarding the door gasket, perform a dollar bill test. Put a dollar bill half way in the door and close it. Try to pull the dollar bill out. Go around the circumference of the door. If you can pull the dollar out, it’s time to replace the gasket.

Reactions: Trefix