Availability of Lopi Leyden stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the "no idea" response on when things will be delivered... I was at a dealer yesterday and they told me that a couple of shipments of stoves were hijacked recently. Apparently there's a black marked for the things. According to the dealer, the manufacturers are being tight-lipped about delivery time lines because of this risk.

branchburner said:
Just curious - what does it run to ship a 500lb stove cross-country?
(sorry about my previous post - I thought the thread ended on page one!)

I have no idea. Then you also have to get it off the truck some how. If you have equipment handy or know somebody that does, then that makes it possible. I think somebody said they used lawn mower ramps to slide the stove off the truck into a pickup.

If getting the stove unloaded is not an issue, the cost of shipping is offset by two factors. The retail price of stoves is 200 to 300 less out here than in the East and the sale of the stove would fall under mail/internet order rules and not be subject to sales tax because the dealers location is found on the stove makers website (that qualifies as doing business on the net) and the buyer is taking delivery in another state.

Yesterday at work at it cost $470 to get a 2500-pound crate from Yale, North Carolina to Pryor, Oklahoma using Roadway Freightlines.

The downside of a cross-country purchase is that you may have a tough time getting any local support if your stove has problems.
I also know that Harman has a regional exclusivity policy, meaning dealers are supposed to sell only within their assigned territory. But if there are stoves in the midwest and none in the northeast, that policy may not apply? I think a few hundred in freight would be worth saving a few thousand in oil (assuming you got dry wood!)

branchburner said:
The downside of a cross-country purchase is that you may have a tough time getting any local support if your stove has problems.
I also know that Harman has a regional exclusivity policy, meaning dealers are supposed to sell only within their assigned territory. But if there are stoves in the midwest and none in the northeast, that policy may not apply? I think a few hundred in freight would be worth saving a few thousand in oil (assuming you got dry wood!)

Good pionts.

Okay, the Lopi Leyden saga continues. I would normally not mention a specific business I made a purchase from. As a small business owner myself, I know some things are beyond your control. I will say it's in the Laconia area and is up for sale - bad karma, huh? It's tricky what to believe. We saw a US stove down at our local Aubochon where they've come out and serviced our rider for free - the benefit of going local. It's not a Lopi, though the auger easily pulls out which makes for easy cleaning.
What I would prefer - they let us know when the stove we ordered in June will arrive, at the very least. They have offered to put in a loaner stove, but are asking for an additional $1000 (we already put 1500 down) until our Leyden arrives. We're just not sure if we're getting the right information from the dealer. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'd love to contact the local Travis organization in Mass who ships them to the various dealers to find out if the dealer can't get any because they don't have the funds.
So, if anyone has any insight we would love to hear it. We're at the point of offering an ultimatum - a date for install of our Lopi (or loaner at no extra charge) or money back and we go US Stove Model 6039HF (though we know nothing about them).
UGHHH

fireme said:
As a Lopi dealer I can tell you that my sales rep has informed me that at the earliest it will be end of OCT. Again at the earliest.

Firestarter - any idea on when the Lopi Leydens will start to be available - I'm finishing up laying the tile for where I'll put the stove when it gets here.

I called my shop here in NH and they said sometime end of Oct/beginning of Nov.

Lopi Leyden - so you won't believe this!! I put down 1500 on a Lopi pellet stove, and was told by the local dealer it would be installed early September. The day before we called to confirm and they said, "Oh yeah, we don't have it and don't know when we'll get it in." NICE!! Long story short they put us off, blaming the manufacturer (which admittadly was behind in their production), until recently when I discovered the dealer won't get any more stoves because the Lopi manufacturer hasn't been getting paid by them. The dealer, Mr. Fireplace in Laconia, NH, hasn't responded to our calls - the person we talk to is either never there or out to lunch! Come to find out there is presently a civil suit against them and we are filing in small claims court.
One thing that really gets me is that Travis Co. is basically saying yeah, stinks to be you. They seem to be mostly concerned about getting their money from the dealer and don't care much about the end consumer. It is one of their distibutors - but it looks like supporting the people who will be using their stoves is less important to them.
Needless to say we are looking to get our investment back and certainly won't be investing in a Travis product.
Though I don't feel this is a forum to slam certain companies, this is information I would want to know if I was in the market for a stove.
John
Moultonborough NH

Status
Not open for further replies.