Avalon pellet stove overfeeds firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MTZ

Dec 24, 2017
Selma, California
i have an Avalon Astoria Bay wood pellet stove on a skytech wireless digital thermostat. Stove has operated awesome but on occasion we run into a particular scenario. It appears that when the House reaches the set temp the stove begins to shut down and no element is lighting the pellets. This is expected with the exception that the auger continues to pile in pellets into the firebox. Shortly after the stove goes into a non operating mode and will no longer light up per the thermostat. I have to reset it at now I have a large pile of pellets being lit up. There is a large plume of smoke and large flame and consequently a worry since the flames are consuming the box. Once the pellets are burned off the stove operates as expected. Please help.

The element should not be trying to light the stove after initial startup or restart. Once house reaches temp the stove should go into a low heat setting (i could be wrong) and continue to burn at a lower heat until more heat is required. Sounds like the vent holes in your burn pan are getting plugged and snuffing out the fire. Then teh stove continues to pile on pellets until it realizes its out. I had the same issue when i started messing with my stove. After reading directions i realized i should be stirring burn pot daily. But once i got the air flow right their was nothing ever left in burn pot.