Average running cat temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if it was getting too much air your temps would be higher and you could shut it down more than half. Maybe those two holes supply some of the secondary air needed for the cat?

Good point.
How often should the cat be cleaned? Burning 24/7

With the primary air closed, those 2 holes in the ashpan are the only source of air to the coal bed to keep it smouldering and producing smoke to feed the cat. There is also the secondary air intake adding some excess air to that flow of smoke into the cat so it has enough oxygen to burn the smoke.

If you plug those 2 holes, in theory closing the primary could kill the fire completely?

I will unplug the second hole during the next ash dump. The other thing to consider is the thermostatic coil,
I think it is operating right. When stove cold it is open maybe 20% when stove warms up it shuts then as I reduce
air it starts to open again, then at about three hrs into the cycle it shuts for the duration of the burn.

Diabel said:
I will unplug the second hole during the next ash dump. The other thing to consider is the thermostatic coil,
I think it is operating right. When stove cold it is open maybe 20% when stove warms up it shuts then as I reduce
air it starts to open again, then at about three hrs into the cycle it shuts for the duration of the burn.

That sounds right. Also check the second thermostatic coil for the secondary catalytic air - behind that sheetmetal access panel on the back. If the stove is old the probe may be toast - you can unscrew it and pull it out to check. Replacements are about $25. Its adjustable by turning the screw, when the stove is cold the end of the coil where the rod connects is supposed to be around 4 or 5 oclock I think - results in the flapper being open a crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.