Axe Book

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
I am looking for recommendations for a good book about axe history. When you think about it, the axe has to be one of the most influential tools in American (and human) history. Has anyone read a good book along this line?

I haven’t read any books but I’ve seen a lot of the old double bit falling axes and as a used to be timber faller I have purchased and used a Swede ax that will make a different noise pounding wedges and somehow create more energy.I competed many years ago in logging competitions and the chopping axes are scary.

Axe and you shall receive

Not an axe book, but I did once buy a copy of "Harvesting Timber Crops" by A.E. Wackerman..... (which I bought simply because of title and author name.... really, you can look it up an find it on Amazon)

Not an axe book, but I did once buy a copy of "Harvesting Timber Crops" by A.E. Wackerman..... (which I bought simply because of title and author name.... really, you can look it up an find it on Amazon)
Followed by the "Wood Stackers' Bible by Ashley Splitter.

When you think about it, the axe has to be one of the most influential tools in American (and human) history.
Not a recommendation on a book, but a reflection on human history. I did find this one several years ago, a 3/4 groove and amazingly small at about 3".

Attachments

• axe.JPG
    axe.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: Nealm66
Not really a book all about axes but has interesting info about them, in particular some of the Nordic axe makers:

One of my favorite books and is on the bookshelf in the stove room. The name alone will make your friends question you when you start talking about Norwegian wood ;lol

Where would one find this? I typed it into a search engine and got a lot of religious links.
Just kidding. It was a riff on St. Coemgen's comment. Like the Woodburner's Handbook by I.B. Burner.

I'm going to add a few more of those to my amazon cart.

I went through American Axe already. Interesting read. More short bits of information all grouped into one book. I am looking forward to yard sale season now to find some old axes.

points001.jpg

Five inches long and 3 1/2 inches wide. I got this in a cornfield next to the Oconee River in Georgia. Made by Creek Indians, or else, their predecessors.

Imagine how long it took to make this axe. I think the Creeks captured a Cherokee, and told him, "Here are two rocks. Use the small rock as a hammer and make the other rock into an axe by lunch time tomorrow, or else we will burn you at the stake."

8 minute video comparing the steel axe to the stone axe

View attachment 271559
Five inches long and 3 1/2 inches wide. I got this in a cornfield next to the Oconee River in Georgia. Made by Creek Indians, or else, their predecessors.

Imagine how long it took to make this axe. I think the Creeks captured a Cherokee, and told him, "Here are two rocks. Use the small rock as a hammer and make the other rock into an axe by lunch time tomorrow, or else we will burn you at the stake."

I have a friend who is an archaeologist. He works in the eastern united states and live just down the road. He has copper, iron, and steel swords, axes, copper spear points, etc... He has several museums with artifacts in them. He has many, many of those stone axe heads and they were made by ancient inhabitants of this land called the Hopewell, or Nephite culture Between 600 bc and 400 ad.
this is his website. Ancient American