Baby-proofing your wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mellow said:
Thanks, mellow. Yes, I understand that there are extensions available, but what are the possible dimensions of the standard fence/gate? I didn't see the dimensions stated online (I probably overlooked them).

Ed

Intheswamp said:
mellow said:
Thanks, mellow. Yes, I understand that there are extensions available, but what are the possible dimensions of the standard fence/gate? I didn't see the dimensions stated online (I probably overlooked them).

Ed

The basic setup comes with 5 sections (2ft each) so you can arrange it however you wish as each connection can be bent however you need. I have the corners angled (out from wall,45* with a section, 45* again to the front, then 2 sections across the front (or 3?), a 45* then takes it to the wall on the right (I have a corner install hearth.

Very flexible system.

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
don't hit each other with the fireplace shovel... ~Rose

HA HA HA you made my day. That being said when I was a kid with my brother and sister, if there were a shovel available, someone would have found it to be irresistible and.....

I've played with your illustration........the amount of extra room that it would take up, is not all that much of an imposition (see added line around hearth area).

Attachments

• Layout.jpg
    Layout.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 296
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Yes, it's a tough learning curve. My adult friend suffered third degree burns when she tripped and fell towards the stove and her skin basically melted off the palms of her hands.
Egad! That's rough.....hope it turned out okay. Cheers!

Sounds like you've successfully stove-proofed kid#1; baby-proofing the stove seems indeed like a logical step, but not necessarily one you'll need to take soon, or maybe ever.

A thought: you may get one of those placid, thoughtful contemplative children who sit on their bums until they're 13 months old flipping the pages of a pile of picture books. (I have friends who got one of those.) You may have a child who's getting his/her own bananas off the top of the frig when they're ten months old. (I got one of those. He'd have *vaulted* Soupy's setup in about 30 seconds--no exaggeration--the kid could just about levitate). I would agree with your earlier statement that child#2 is unlikely to be vertically mobile during the heating season--you may end up timing your hot fires in the spring with the baby's sleeping schedule and not have to really worry about this until the 11-12 heating season--by which time you'll know which flavor of child you've got.

I'm trying to remember how we dealt with this with our littles, and I can't. We didn't block the stove off, and not only our children, but neighbors' children were around it all the time, and it was just a non-issue. (The stairs were a different matter; my daughter kept climbing whatever barriers we put up, until I decorated one with a scary bear picture on it, indicating that I'm probably not someone who should be posting child-rearing hints.) I asked her just now if she remembered any restrictions we had on the stove, and she reminded me that we curled under the pointy corners on the shield in the back, because they were at her eye height. She said it was fun to go behind the stove. Good to learn that we were able to make some memories there . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.