Back brace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Looking for suggestions on a back brace. Last weekend lifting some heavy rounds reminded me once again I should get myself some lumbar support. I didn't hurt myself but I would rather take some precautions now. I've seen some cheapies on Amazon and some others with suspenders. Anybody have some real world experience you can share and specific brands you may suggest?

The box companys like fedx ups. See what there wearing should make for a nice all day brace. I bought on off amazone last year leather but it wears hard.

Make sure it is very flexible. The stiff ones (like weight lifters use), will become uncomfortable real fast. I use a flexible type about 8" wide and with Velcro "buckle".

I have a bad back and although ive never searched that thoroughly, having anything is better than nothing. For me, its more of a reminder to take it easy. That being said, mine has some vertical supports built into the band that flex which seems to keep me in an upright position. I think i just got it at home depot. Im glad you are being proactive, nothing sucks more than having a bad back.

EJL923 said:
Im glad you are being proactive, nothing sucks more than having a bad back.

No doubt. I attribute it to many small changes, but my back is better now than it was 18 yrs ago.

I will also add, mine has a double buckle. The main band wraps tightly, then some secondary bands stretch over that as well. Allows for a nice tight fit. In my experience, the tighter the better.

I used such supports for years and my back only got worse and weaker. On the suggestion of a physical therapist I started easy back exercises... lie face down on the floor, stretch out like Superman, and use back muscles to lift your chest off the floor by 1" or so. Repeat 10x every day... takes like 30 seconds.

After a few months my back stopped hurting and hasn't "gone out" since. And I don't wear the brace anymore.

i dont want to hijack this thread, i think ill start a new one about heating with wood and a having a bad back

bluedogz said:
I used such supports for years and my back only got worse and weaker. On the suggestion of a physical therapist I started easy back exercises... lie face down on the floor, stretch out like Superman, and use back muscles to lift your chest off the floor by 1" or so. Repeat 10x every day... takes like 30 seconds.

After a few months my back stopped hurting and hasn't "gone out" since. And I don't wear the brace anymore.

agreed, sttrengthen the muscle
a support will make things worse

ironpony said:
a support will make things worse

I rarely use one, but I will have to say, that when my back was not in good shape, the use of one lessened my pain. It was only used when I knew it was going to be the real heavy ones. I don't think occasional use during strenuous work will "make it worse". It may in fact help. I also agree with strengthening the core muscles.

i have one from the dirt biking days and it does make a big difference
rn

I say don't mess around with back supports and if you need help, go somewhere and have a brace make for you or get fitted for one. The chair-back brace works quite well and is not super expensive and it is not difficult to find. Get a reference from your doctor and then go buy one. I also have a Boston-Bob but that is almost like being in a cast from the chest to the tailbone. I certainly could not recommend it to wear while cutting wood but I have done it. Whoa. It get hot wearing that thing! Not so much with the chairback brace.

Doc told me to not were one unless doing abnormal lifting work. Can cause weakening of some muscles.
Told me to wear it if my back is sore when cutting, stacking fire wood but loosen it often to let the back muscles work.
I have the one built into shorts, stays in place, can loosen it. I wear it under my work clothes when the back is acting up.
I don't wear it all the time when processing wood,, per doctors recommendations.
I'm the male model in the photo (30 years ago) ;) :
http://www.isokineticsinc.com/category/pc_posture/product/sg_21000

OK, I am not a doctor and take this for what it is. I certainly have a bad back! For those that know me, you know that I severely injured my back on June 17, 2010.......still healing. I ask my doctor when he took my brace off on Sept. 12, if I should wear it part of the day.....he said NO, NO, NO. On Dec. 12 when he released me for the first time to start lifting and bending, I ask him if I should get one of those fabric/belt lumbar back braces, and he said " when you pass someone with one of those on, just smile and say hi" So, I got the impression he wasn't impressed with back braises, except for during the healing process. I also ask if I should do back exercises.....he said NO. The back doesn't need exercise, it is for holding up the head and body and should never be used for anymore lifting than is absolutely necessary. Just my experience. :smirk: I would check with your doctor first.
PS. I trust this guy to the Nth degree!!!!!!!! I am walking, and living and I think he is a miracle worker!

Steve I'm very glad to hear you are recovering well from your back injury, but I can't say I agree with your doctors views on back exercise, especially if he feels this applies to people who may frequently do heavy physical work, like firewood processing.
It's pretty clear that people who regularly do toning exercises and training for specific feats or event will fair much better in those events then someone who does nothing to prepare for such event. For instance, a regular person would have no chance in a weight lifting competition against a trained weight lifter who had been preparing in advance for many months or years. In fact that regular person would have a high likelihood of injuring himself if he tried to seriously compete in any such competition. And so the same goes for firewood processing. Unless you are somehow preparing for the physical demands that are involved in wood processing, you will be more likely to hurt yourself. And since much of the work involves using your back, you are going to want those back muscles (and other muscles) to be toned and strong. You just can't develop that sort of a muscle tone in your back without doing something to exercise it. Sitting around watching TV until it is "absolutely necessary" that you go out and cut some firewood sounds like a sure fire recipe for disaster.

Carbon_Liberator said:
Steve I'm very glad to hear you are recovering well from your back injury, but I can't say I agree with your doctors views on back exercise, especially if he feels this applies to people who may frequently do heavy physical work, like firewood processing.
It's pretty clear that people who regularly do toning exercises and training for specific feats or event will fair much better in those events then someone who does nothing to prepare for such event. For instance, a regular person would have no chance in a weight lifting competition against a trained weight lifter who had been preparing in advance for many months or years. In fact that regular person would have a high likelihood of injuring himself if he tried to seriously compete in any such competition. And so the same goes for firewood processing. Unless you are somehow preparing for the physical demands that are involved in wood processing, you will be more likely to hurt yourself. And since much of the work involves using your back, you are going to want those back muscles (and other muscles) to be toned and strong. You just can't develop that sort of a muscle tone in your back without doing something to exercise it. Sitting around watching TV until it is "absolutely necessary" that you go out and cut some firewood sounds like a sure fire recipe for disaster.
Oh, I know you are right and I am exercising my back.....c/s/s fire wood as best I can, and getting stronger because of it. I misled you, because my doctor knows that too, he is just protective of the back and doesn't want anyone to lift 500 #s using their back, no matter how much they have prepared for it. He only wants to see the back used for no more lifting than is necessary to live your life, whatever that is. He told me "exercise" for your back is whatever my normal life is. And I think he doesn't like those daily use braces because the back then doesn't get any exercise that will make it stronger :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.