Back health

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
hi all, friendly reminder to pay attention to your risk for back problems. Was cutting today, moved the wrong way and really messed up up my lower back. This will happen from time to time, but this time was really painful. Took me about 1.5 hrs to get up off ground, with with wife's help. Really an eye opener that this can be a major issue. I am only 38 yrs old but today's injury literally had me on my butt. I plan to get a belt that will give support me for firewood work. My father has had similar back problems so genes likely factor. Long story short, if you've been thinking of getting some back support for your firewood adventures, do it sooner than later. Spending an hour and a half telling your wife that you don't' think you can stand up is not a fun place to be.

Take it easy. I was 34 the first time it happened.

That sucks brother. Hope you heal up soon

Hope you mend quickly...

hi all, friendly reminder to pay attention to your risk for back problems. Was cutting today, moved the wrong way and really messed up up my lower back. This will happen from time to time, but this time was really painful. Took me about 1.5 hrs to get up off ground, with with wife's help. Really an eye opener that this can be a major issue. I am only 38 yrs old but today's injury literally had me on my butt. I plan to get a belt that will give support me for firewood work. My father has had similar back problems so genes likely factor. Long story short, if you've been thinking of getting some back support for your firewood adventures, do it sooner than later. Spending an hour and a half telling your wife that you don't' think you can stand up is not a fun place to be.
Man, sorry to hear it, sounds pretty scary, if it took that long to get up. I dread the day something like that happens, I have so much work to do that it would cost a fortune to pay someone else to clean up, and that's just the firewood piles.

Hope the belt helps, and that you get mended up quickly.

Scary for sure especially Bc I pride myself on being physically very able. I was just out with my dog for a 3.5 hour hike thus morning. I will bounce back,but will need to be much smarter and realize I cannot do absolutely everything I want to do.

Been there. It really stinks, took me an hour to get out of my car once - the bad part is, it can hit out of the blue without an obvious reason. Last time it got me, was in the kitchen bending down to pick a piece of paper off the floor that had fallen off the fridge. Pretty sure I bent at my knees & not my back, but it still nailed me.

Doing what you can to exercise the surrounding muscles in the good periods really helps. That could be as simple as just making a conscious effort to keep good upright posture while sitting or driving - any upright time. Knee bends also seemed good, but I could never keep myself doing those. And I actually find most work involved with processing & putting up firewood helps too, oddly. As long as I don't get into a bent-over situation for much more than a moment or two.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Hope you heal quickly and it is not something problematic long-term!

The best thing you can do for your back to prevent injuries is to train it. Go to the gym. Do deadlifts. Stretch..warm up..ect. If you can't go to the gym, buy some used equipment..cheap. Use your beer money. :)

People hurt their backs because they are weak and try to lift something heavy...without training. Muscles/tendons don't like that. Everyone will always lift something just the wrong way and tweek it...but without training and exercise, we can all have back issues.

Reactions: Wood Collector
Hope you heal quickly and it is not something problematic long-term!

The best thing you can do for your back to prevent injuries is to train it. Go to the gym. Do deadlifts. Stretch..warm up..ect. If you can't go to the gym, buy some used equipment..cheap. Use your beer money. :)

People hurt their backs because they are weak and try to lift something heavy...without training. Muscles/tendons don't like that. Everyone will always lift something just the wrong way and tweek it...but without training and exercise, we can all have back issues.

This situation has definitely given me the motivation to exercise my back correctly. I I really appreciate the detailed feedback from u all. If I could, I would kick myself right now.

I've found besides the obvious person overdoing it that a lot of people hurt their backs on the little things. You tighten your core when you lift something heavy and you are prepared for it. Not so when you bend over incorrectly and pick up something on the lighter side.

Last edited:
Summer 2007 I ruptured my L5-S1, so I know what you are talking about. Thank God, I found a place that showed me proper exercises to do to heal it and I have been pretty good since, my main issue is overtight muscles on my left side, hip, back and groin, mostly the Piriformis muscle but I have stretches for that too. I was told that everyone has an "angry" side, mine is my left side, the right side usually just goes along and says "what's your problem over there?", but I do at times get right side issues too. But what helps me the most is stretching and some strengthening, and I will share them with you but remember everyone is different so what helps one might not help another. You also must find out what the exact problem is, disc or muscle or S.I. joint or what, but what helped pop my disc back into place was doing MacKenzie push ups, lie on your stomach with your arms out in front of you like you are playing "Superman", not too far not too close, do a push up with ONLY raising your upper body, keep your belt area and legs flat on the floor, take a breath when you push up, hold for a few seconds, exhale on the way down, slowly repeat. You are basically just arching your upper back while your mid section and lower body stays flat on the floor. I was told to do 200 of these each day while I was hurt, but now I only do maybe 25 or 30 every so often unless I feel bad then I'll do say 50.

I also lay flat on my back, take a breath in and tighten my stomach core area, bend my right leg and raise it halfway so your knee is facing up towards the ceiling while your foot is pointing toes up but the bottom of your foot is facing the wall, hold for a few seconds, then raise your left leg up to meet the right one, hold then exhale while bringing the right one down first then the left. Repeat same thing but alternate legs, raise the left one first, bring right one up etc. I do this about 8-10 times and it really tightens your core stomach muscles which help support your back.

And if you have S.I. joint issues Sacroilliac joint pain this one helps reset it in place, just did it last night and it helped. Lay flat on your back, raise both legs up halfway like the exercise above, grab one knee and pull it towards you while at the same time pushing the other knee away from you, hold a few seconds and switch legs, keep switching, do this about 5 times. Then while on your back raise your knees up halfway, make two fists, put your fists together between your raised knees and squeeze for a few seconds, repeat a few times.

I also lay flat on a table and dangle my left leg off the side, this can help stretch and reset your hip area; I did this about 10 days ago and heard and felt a loud "clunk" which meant I reset myself and felt much better! Scary, but good!

There are more that I can share, but these seem to be really good and basic ones that would help if it is disc related or S.I. joint. I have been pretty good and am 56.5 years old, so don't think that your chopping and wood working days are over they aren't, you just have to make some adjustments and get stretching and stronger. And bend at the knees, pull the weight close to your body, look upwards when you lift, keep your back straight it's tough on the knees and hips but it saves the back!

Good luck, please keep us posted on your progress!!

Summer 2007 I ruptured my L5-S1, so I know what you are talking about. Thank God, I found a place that showed me proper exercises to do to heal it and I have been pretty good since, my main issue is overtight muscles on my left side, hip, back and groin, mostly the Piriformis muscle but I have stretches for that too. I was told that everyone has an "angry" side, mine is my left side, the right side usually just goes along and says "what's your problem over there?", but I do at times get right side issues too. But what helps me the most is stretching and some strengthening, and I will share them with you but remember everyone is different so what helps one might not help another. You also must find out what the exact problem is, disc or muscle or S.I. joint or what, but what helped pop my disc back into place was doing MacKenzie push ups, lie on your stomach with your arms out in front of you like you are playing "Superman", not too far not too close, do a push up with ONLY raising your upper body, keep your belt area and legs flat on the floor, take a breath when you push up, hold for a few seconds, exhale on the way down, slowly repeat. You are basically just arching your upper back while your mid section and lower body stays flat on the floor. I was told to do 200 of these each day while I was hurt, but now I only do maybe 25 or 30 every so often unless I feel bad then I'll do say 50.

I also lay flat on my back, take a breath in and tighten my stomach core area, bend my right leg and raise it halfway so your knee is facing up towards the ceiling while your foot is pointing toes up but the bottom of your foot is facing the wall, hold for a few seconds, then raise your left leg up to meet the right one, hold then exhale while bringing the right one down first then the left. Repeat same thing but alternate legs, raise the left one first, bring right one up etc. I do this about 8-10 times and it really tightens your core stomach muscles which help support your back.

And if you have S.I. joint issues Sacroilliac joint pain this one helps reset it in place, just did it last night and it helped. Lay flat on your back, raise both legs up halfway like the exercise above, grab one knee and pull it towards you while at the same time pushing the other knee away from you, hold a few seconds and switch legs, keep switching, do this about 5 times. Then while on your back raise your knees up halfway, make two fists, put your fists together between your raised knees and squeeze for a few seconds, repeat a few times.

I also lay flat on a table and dangle my left leg off the side, this can help stretch and reset your hip area; I did this about 10 days ago and heard and felt a loud "clunk" which meant I reset myself and felt much better! Scary, but good!

There are more that I can share, but these seem to be really good and basic ones that would help if it is disc related or S.I. joint. I have been pretty good and am 56.5 years old, so don't think that your chopping and wood working days are over they aren't, you just have to make some adjustments and get stretching and stronger. And bend at the knees, pull the weight close to your body, look upwards when you lift, keep your back straight it's tough on the knees and hips but it saves the back!

Good luck, please keep us posted on your progress!!

Wow! Thanks for all of this info. I think that you're right that adjustments need to get made. My wife is right that I have had a silly "it's ok" attitude when I am getting over my head with a wood project. A recent scrounge in particular had me doing done really dumb stuff, this probably set the stage for yesterday's mishap.

I will try these exercises you listed when able to do so. Thanks again!

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Just go slow and try a little at a time, and give it time; it usually is not just one thing that you did, it is a lot of little things that add up and finally catch up and your back says "that's enough, I have to let you know that I'm hurt" ha ha! I probably would try the MacKenzie pushups first, just take it slow and do about 20 of them, remember to breathe in as you pushup, hold, exhale as you lower yourself and when you are done just lie there for a minute, don't race to get right up.

I remember lifting some heavy things the day I hurt myself and weakness and a shot of pain down the left rear leg. I had an MRI done and they said that the disc was "ruptured" but the one doctor let me see the x-ray and he said it didn't look too bad, it wasn't good, but whoever wrote the report up seemed to make it sound worse than it was. I did the 200 pushups everyday, broke them up into 3 segments and did them morning, noon and night, and on the 8th day I felt a pain right on the disc area after I did some; I remember sitting at the dinner table and saying to my wife "something is happening", and she panicked and said "what can I do?", and I said "just hold on", and I felt the disc actually push itself back into place, that's why it hurt and then the pain stopped! And it made perfect sense, it hurt when it came out, so it hurt going back in saying "move over, I'm back" lol! When I told the physical therapist the next day he excitedly said "I knew it would work!!!" and then ratched it up a notch and strapped me to the table and said "now do them" which was so much harder because of the increased resistance. But it helped, and I do them as maintainence now.

The other thing it could be is something called the facet joint, I moved wrong one day years ago and that hurt worse than the disc. Went to the chiropractor who adjusted me and said it was the facet joint, and that he said can bring you to your knees. No kidding.....

I also wore a weightlifting belt soon after this happened, but I found that my posture was the same without the belt so I didn't use it, wanted to strengthen the muscles instead, but the belt did help somewhat.

Take it slow, try some pushups, and I would try to figure out exactly what your issue is. But the pushups couldn't hurt, if it hurts of course stop. Then try some of the other ones, and look on Youtube as there are many great ones there but if they hurt stop!

Good luck, let us know how you are doing!!

Reactions: velvetfoot
I've had my share of back injuries, luckily they were more muscular problems primary with alignment being secondary.
I take prevention to the extreme because I have been laid up before, I wear a back brace, stay hydrated, stretch, make a plan of attach, eliminate any obvious risks in my path (ie: holes, other tree's, branches, loose rocks)
If I do hurt myself (usually when rushing) I go straight to a sports chiropractor were I get stretched out on a Frankenstein table, then cracked on a drop table. My biggest issue is that my hips get knocked out of alignment causing one leg to be shorter than another, then to compound it, my body compensates and my leg tendons and muscle get super tight which prolongs the injury until I get stretched and put back into neutral.

If I do hurt myself (usually when rushing) I go straight to a sports chiropractor were I get stretched out on a Frankenstein table, then cracked on a drop table. My biggest issue is that my hips get knocked out of alignment causing one leg to be shorter than another, then to compound it, my body compensates and my leg tendons and muscle get super tight which prolongs the injury until I get stretched and put back into neutral.

I was told many times "your one leg is shorter than the other", even wore a lift in one shoe to try to make up for it, but it turns out to be exactly what you said, your hips get out of whack and it makes it seem like one leg is shorter but it's not!

You might benefit from the exercise I said about resetting your S.I. joints, just a hunch....

CTwoodtick: your name caught my eye because I am from CT too, and also happen to be 38. I know I am at that point in my life where my body can't always do what I think it can. I screwed up my back pretty good about ten years ago loading paper into the copy machine at work. I moved/twisted/stood up in too many ways at once, and my back didn't like it. I had to go to physical therapy for several weeks. Being deliberate in your movements can be very helpful. Core strength is very important, as has been mentioned. And something people often overlook when it comes to back issues is abdominal strength (which is part of the coed obviously). Those opposing muscles are important to your back. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTwoodtick: your name caught my eye because I am from CT too, and also happen to be 38. I know I am at that point in my life where my body can't always do what I think it can. I screwed up my back pretty good about ten years ago loading paper into the copy machine at work. I moved/twisted/stood up in too many ways at once, and my back didn't like it. I had to go to physical therapy for several weeks. Being deliberate in your movements can be very helpful. Core strength is very important, as has been mentioned. And something people often overlook when it comes to back issues is abdominal strength (which is part of the coed obviously). Those opposing muscles are important to your back. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife has said the same thing. I am going to use this situation as an opportunity to get much healthier knowing that there is much to lose if I don't. Thanks man

Hey PA, thanks for checking in.! Overall I am better, nearly a week since the injury and I am up and around, back to work (sedentary job), and reasonably active with hosting Easter dinner tomorrow. The sharp, localized pain has become more of an ache more general in area. I am ok with that, as if seems to represent a what I'd expect for healing. Hopefully within another week it so, I can get to the point where I can begin doing some stretches and strengthening stuff for it, but maybe that will take a bit longer.

Hey PA, thanks for checking in.! Overall I am better, nearly a week since the injury and I am up and around, back to work (sedentary job), and reasonably active with hosting Easter dinner tomorrow. The sharp, localized pain has become more of an ache more general in area. I am ok with that, as if seems to represent a what I'd expect for healing. Hopefully within another week it so, I can get to the point where I can begin doing some stretches and strengthening stuff for it, but maybe that will take a bit longer.
Glad to hear you're doing better. Hopefully it'll keep getting better on its own. I had serious back pain on a couple of occasions but, luckily, both times it healed (eventually) without needing treatment. The first time I hurt it shoveling snow during a blizzard, and almost simultaneously developed bronchitis. So every time I coughed, my back hurt! :eek: And because I was snowed in, I couldn't get my bronchitis treated for several days. The second time, I overreached while transferring my mother from the car to her wheelchair. That still hurt after a couple of weeks so I finally had it X-rayed. The doctor couldn't see any spine damage so he said it was just soft tissue damage and it'll heal on its own. He was right, but it took a lot longer than I had hoped. One thing I found that really helped was to use a small pillow for lumbar support every time I sat, especially in the car. And, of course, be careful not to aggravate it while it's still healing. Good luck!

Just checking to see how you are doing now, hopefully improving a little each day.....

Thanks for checking in, day by day getting better. Not able to get on floor yet to see what exercises/stretches I can do- back gave a small warning sign that I was getting into a danger zone. I'm thinking that this means I am still healing and that more time is needed. Just yesterday a perfect size cherry was getting taken down nearby by a tree service next door to where I work. Hard to watch! I though about the pain I would be in if I overdid it again and "moved on".

Meant to say above that I did try to get on floor, but that caused some minor pain that I thing served as warning

I'm in the same boat just not as sever as your situation. Last week after building a firewood rack holder, cutting, chopping and stacking wood I tweeked my lower back by bending to the ground far to many times. Ice and aspirin and a back brace until it gets better.

In the meantime I've built a rack to pile 2-6" limbs in and cut 15-20 of them all at once. Tomorrow I'm building a pallet sawbuck for the larger pieces. Eventually ill build a larger and collapsible sawbuck where I can place 6-8 large and long rounds/trunks on a slope and just chainsaw them and have the rounds fall to the ground.

Until I'm healed up I'm just puttering away with the smaller branches and wearing a back brace all weekend. I either spend a few minutes setting up work for the next day or I just spend a few minutes working on what I've set up the day before.

Meant to say above that I did try to get on floor, but that caused some minor pain that I thing served as warning

When your healed up toe touching, groin stretching and hurdler stretches may help you a lot. A lot of back injuries (not necessary your situation) come from lack of flexibility in the lumbar. Simply picking up too much stuff can unknowingly strain the muscles that are too tight and as we continue to unknowingly "grind through it" we have an "oh SH!) moment and the lower back is sprain and strained from nowhere.

Stretch stretch stretch