Back health

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
When your healed up toe touching, groin stretching and hurdler stretches may help you a lot. A lot of back injuries (not necessary your situation) come from lack of flexibility in the lumbar. Simply picking up too much stuff can unknowingly strain the muscles that are too tight and as we continue to unknowingly "grind through it" we have an "oh SH!) moment and the lower back is sprain and strained from nowhere.

Stretch stretch stretch

You are definitely correct. Even as a child, I was not very flexible, in spite of being major ly into sports. It finally caught up with me.

Speak of the devil and he will appear. My back is tight and sore and it won't go away for the past week. Lots of icing, pain killers and light stretching.....

Looks like I'll be limiting my wood cutting to every second day for just a round or two. The re-chopping did me in.

Standing for too long makes it hurt all along the lumbar/kidney area. I think I sprained everything? Blah.

Oh man, i wish you a speedy recovery

Reactions: beermann
Speak of the devil and he will appear. My back is tight and sore and it won't go away for the past week. Lots of icing, pain killers and light stretching.....

Looks like I'll be limiting my wood cutting to every second day for just a round or two. The re-chopping did me in.

Standing for too long makes it hurt all along the lumbar/kidney area. I think I sprained everything? Blah.

I feel your pain too...same thing in the lower back. No idea how I did it and we have a new wee one to boot.
Hurts a bunch.

Last edited:
IMG_0585.JPG Tried replying one but I don't think it went through. Doing better, going forward, it's clear that with getting back to things, I will have to gradually build up to where I want to be. I will feel great, do some work around house. My back has been gently (thankfully) letting me know when it's too much. With that info I would like to not get to that line as the back continues to heal. I will say though, I am thankful for having had my 17-18' wood already processed and stacked. While not a 3+year plan, it is good to know that i don't have to bust my butt to find wood last minute. I gave a bit more than a cord for 18-19' already and I usually do fine with wood stacked for one year. BTW, its the "dog days" of summer here already. About 80 deg here on coast, over 90 only a mild inland.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Glad you are getting there, don't rush it, it could take a long time, you are smart to stay ahead of the game!

And yes, 90 degrees in Eastern Pennsylvania yesterday and today, this weather has sure gone crazy!!!

Keep up the good work!!

Yeah I first did it when I was about 34 - had small kids at home I was constantly bending over to pick up. I find now as long as I recognize when I am getting tired and lazy about my form when picking things up - and just stop at that point - I do ok. Of course now that I wrote this I will probably throw my back out this afternoon.

Hopefully not man!

Great to hear you've got it under control! And your dog looks a lot like mine!

Attachments

• IMG_20170428_111518.jpg
    IMG_20170428_111518.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 109
I love how the dogs like to hang out near the woodpile...which is coincidentally where I gang out a lot.

I'm pretty late to the discussion, but let me put in a plug for the Teeter Hangup. I've had plenty of bouts and I swear most of them happen during periods of inactivity. Regardless, if I spend 10 minutes slightly inverted 2-3x a week I seem to be in pretty good shape. Then I give it up for a month, and I'm back to staying bent over all day.

Somehow I really lucked out setting mine up. I remember deciding on some kind of "fine balance" or "slow-action" option when assembling. With the correct height is selected, I can gently change from (clockface) 11&5 to 8&2 just by raising and lowering my arms, smooth as silk.

If you try inversion, start slow. Even 10 degrees inverted begins to provide relief. And if ten minutes is good, 60 minutes does NOT provide a cure - perhaps even the opposite... Or so a "close friend" tells me.

I'm sure you'll bounce back from this stronger and wiser!