Tale of two old "P" Harman stoves and two new distribution blowers!

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

silverfox103

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2011
493
Littleton, NH
I have two Harman stoves, one I bought new, the P68 in 2008 and a used one, the P38 in 2012. We have a 2300 sq ft "L" shaped ranch house. Like a lot houses, especially "L" shaped ranches, there was no ideal spot to place the stove. For 2/3 of the house the 68 did a good job, the remaining 1/3, OK but not toasty. Of course that part included the kitchen and the den. Needn't say anymore.

We have a zoned forced hot water system that we used to make it better. But didn't like the idea of paying for oil. But one day a good friend of mine asked if I wanted to buy his P38 and he said I'll throw in a generator also. I'll be right over. I knew he hated doing the pellet thing. No more using oil, minimal complaints for me. ;)

This spring I noticed the distribution fan on the 68 was not really putting out that much heat. Found the motor was locked, after all it's 18 years old, so I got my money out of it. Replaced the fan motor. I couldn't believe the difference, sounds like a jet engine. Boy, does, it distribute the heat. That motor could have been locked for years, other than maintenace for the stove, I only fill and clean that stove; don't really spend much time in that room (living room).

So, I said to my self; the 38 is 20 years old it might be a good idea to replace that motor also even though it seemed to run OK. I removed it, I was sick! I notice the motor was a Dayton, made in USA. It was going to be replace with a made in Cheena motor. Unfortunately there was no turning back. That motor also made an improvement. It heats up the rooms a lot better. No more it's cold in the kitchen or I'm cold (where the Mrs. sits in the den). :) My only complaint is "my seat" on the couch, is close to the 38. So, after supper, I get comfortable on the couch to watch the news. An hour later, I wake up.

I'm glad I replaced them, saves me from doing the job, under the gun to get em going. While I was in there I replaced the probe on the 38, as it was starting to act up.

That's my story for today.

Tom