Back saving processing tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back saving tools I like to use
Extra long hay hook, home made hookaroon, 12" lifting tongs
lifting tongs and cant hook, I got on the cheep used on CL
IMG_20130506_191020.jpg

Cant hook
IMG_20121205_155736.jpg

not back saver, but a good time saver is a good bark spud. Gets the wet bark off the splits in a jiffy...so better drying times.
plus one on the woodchuck, can'thook/peavy combo...good gear..1 in 2
scott

Last edited:
I cannot imagine removing the bark from all my splits and rounds ...

I cannot imagine removing the bark from all my splits and rounds ...
not all..only the wet and mud caked ones, especially when you need them dried quicker.
Ie: skidded load of ash , heavy mud, wet weather. Bucked 2 cords, CSS and debarked the bad ones in April , by Oct, good to go. Hate the mudded ones.,,takes about 5 seconds per round...usually they get peeled off in a solid piece ...

Last edited:
Reactions: HDRock
I noticed that too.........what gives?
Only one like per min. There is a thread or two in the ash can about it. It's helping free up server and bandwidth I think.... Aka helps let the site run faster

midwestcoast

I've never seen such a great collection of backsaving tools in one thread - this is terrific.

The Cant hook is my best backsaver, but the pickeroon has peaked my interest. I find vertical splitting absolutely murder on my back, but everybody is different.

Take my word for it, these tools are worth their weight in heating oil if they save one back injury, and as many have shown some can be had for short change.

Reactions: midwestcoast
I noticed that too.........what gives?
The mod's have to read a page called "Recent Activity", to watch for reported posts, etc. You can actually access this page at the top of your screen, if you want to see it. Anyway, all likes show up in this report, and the mod's have to sift thru them to find new posts, reported posts, etc. So, they're looking for a way to just keep the number of likes down a little bit. They're being overrun with them.

Reactions: Jags
Pulp hooks are just as useful as a pickaroon, but in different situations. If you need more reach it is a pickaroon. Less reach, like moving a still heavy part of a round on the splitter, it is a pulp hook. Get two pulp hooks if you get any. There are plenty of times that you can use one in each hand to move wood about. It keeps things balanced on the spine.

And nobody has mentioned the best back saving tool yet...
The LOG LIFT and work table.
100_1545sm.jpg

And nobody has mentioned the best back saving tool yet...
The LOG LIFT and work table.
View attachment 132562
That is definitely a back saver Jags. I'm still hoping that hand splitting will actually be therapeutic for me, though I may be delusional.
Like Joful I find that being active is often the best medicine for me & sitting is the worst.
I'm hoping the extra 8" of my X-27 versus my old Style Super Splitter and the addition of some hand tools will let me plod along without the hydraulics for several more years. We'll see...

Midwest

You are not delusional. I have the exact same issues as you - sitting and standing are the two worst things for my back. Moving around, including splitting wood by hand, are therapeutic for me.

I can work for hours in the yard, but don't ask me to go for a 30 minute car ride.

I'm still hoping that hand splitting will actually be therapeutic for me, though I may be delusional.

It is very possible that it could do good things for you, but it is also possible that it will start to make things hurt that never hurt before (think shoulders, elbows, etc). Just don't over do it if you find this to be the case.
And make no mistake - even with a hydro splitter there is still plenty of work to go around.

That is definitely a back saver Jags. I'm still hoping that hand splitting will actually be therapeutic for me, though I may be delusional.
Like Joful I find that being active is often the best medicine for me & sitting is the worst.
I'm hoping the extra 8" of my X-27 versus my old Style Super Splitter and the addition of some hand tools will let me plod along without the hydraulics for several more years. We'll see...

If you do not have a big round to set the round your splitting on, try that. It makes a huge difference just raising that split up 12 inches or so. Also I don't know if anyone else does this but if I get into something that is not splitting easily I will swing my x27 then while its in the wood I will smack the back of it once or twice with a big sledge. Usually busts stuff up pretty good.

If you do not have a big round to set the round your splitting on, try that. It makes a huge difference just raising that split up 12 inches or so. Also I don't know if anyone else does this but if I get into something that is not splitting easily I will swing my x27 then while its in the wood I will smack the back of it once or twice with a big sledge. Usually busts stuff up pretty good.

I'm not an expert but i dont think striking tools are made of soft enough steel to hit each other. I think there is a risk of shattering the x27 or the tool you are hitting it with.

Reactions: midwestcoast
I'm not an expert but i dont think striking tools are made of soft enough steel to hit each other. I think there is a risk of shattering the x27 or the tool you are hitting it with.
Right. Splitting axes are not made to hit with a sledge, they are hardened steel (as is the sledge) so one or the other will shatter at some point.
Some mauls are not hardened and are fine for driving wedges, others are hardened the same as an axe.

Luckily none of this is an issue for me with my current scrounge as it's all Red Oak & splitting accordingly ;)
Feels nice splitting a 24 inch round with the Fiskars. As my neighbor put it "You're gonna split that stuff with THAT?!?"
"Yep, watch" swing,crack,swing,crack "See, no problem ;)"

Don't know.... The back of my fiskers certainly seems soft, and still seems like its worth it for a couple wacks on that really suborn wood.

Don't know.... The back of my fiskers certainly seems soft, and still seems like its worth it for a couple wacks on that really suborn wood.

Just wear eye protection....

Just wear eye protection....
A guy I grew up with is blind from this very activity. He was using a sledge, and I can't remember if he was driving a maul or a splitting wedge with it, but a piece of iron fractured off and hit him in the eye. Took his eye out.

Status
Not open for further replies.