Back Up Generator ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a 7 or 8 kw whole house generac that fires up automatically if power is lost. Run by propane because natural gas isn’t available. It’s nice for short outages of a few hours which thankfully is all I have. But for an extended outage I did the math and it would burn through $100 of propane in 24 hours, or about 10% of the tank. In cases like that especially in the winter when I need to keep the stove going I’d rather have a gas generator to run a few essentials.

Reactions: maple1
My parents live where there are quite a few vacation/second homes, empty for much of the year. When they have a long power outage, they hear lots of neighbors' propane generators kick in and run for a week or two until they have drained the tank...all with nobody home!

I am never away long enough to worry about it running out of propane
also if I were away the unit sends a message to my son's phone
indicating low fuel. I want my unit to run if no one is home especially in the winter
this way the house stays warm and I don't come home to frozen pipes

My parents live where there are quite a few vacation/second homes, empty for much of the year. When they have a long power outage, they hear lots of neighbors' propane generators kick in and run for a week or two until they have drained the tank...all with nobody home!
Had that happen around here too.
I suspect lots of generators are running right now from PA to ME. NY has lots of outages.

Had that happen around here too.
I suspect lots of generators are running right now from PA to ME. NY has lots of outages.

Been running this $100 Harbor Freight 900 watt unit here in CT since Tuesday. I bought it like 10 years ago and it's honestly a pretty solid unit. Using my kill a watt meter it actually provides pretty stable power. I use it just to run my fridge, a few lights, chargers, etc. I'm on city water and near the water so I can get by just fine with. Runs close to 6 hours on average with a gallon of 2 cycle.

20200807_184422.jpg

Some electronics will shut down or just plain freeze if the electric supply is not a pure sine wave and/or the frequency is off by +/-X%. Cheap generators can be fairly dirty power-wise.