Big Cat Posted By Big Cat, Nov 14, 2018 at 7:38 AM

1. Big Cat

Big Cat
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2017
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I have a wood furnace next to my propane furnace. I bought all the duct pipe and 2 backdraft dampers needed to connect to my homes duct system.
    My question is how far above my propane furnace, inside the plenum, do I install the 20x20 backdraft damper?

2. fbelec

fbelec
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2005
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    you are best to call tech support for both furnaces. it would stick to do something wrong and have to pay for it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2017
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I talked to a HVAC tech at Granger, where I bought the 20x20 backdraft damper. The tech guy said call the manufacturer of the furnace. I called Rheem and they said talk to a HVAC tech..

4. fbelec

fbelec
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2005
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    nothing like a good circle. i guess that tells me that they don't have a issue with it put it where you wish

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Big Cat

Big Cat
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2017
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    About a week ago I bumped into a HVAC Tech at the gas station. I told him my situation and the way he made it sound to me was I could put it where ever I wanted. "It's just a backdraft damper" and "No more then 12" above the propane furnace". He offered to come over and look at it, but I wasn't sure if he was being nice or wanted make a house call..

6. CaptSpiff

CaptSpiff
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 13, 2014
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Most "professionals" I bump into for free advise seldom follow that up with free visits to my house. :p

Although that may not apply to the police. :oops:

7. Big Cat

Big Cat
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2017
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I installed the backdraft damper last nite. Pretty easy project. I put it rite on top of the furnace.
    The furnace puts out less heat then I thought it would. This is why I asked where I should put a backdraft damper. I thought it would get really hot being on top of the furnace.