Backsplash Sealing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 15, 2020
New Hampshire
Hello all,

Back with another new homeowner question. Previous owners put in Granite countertops with Glass tile on the wall/ backsplash. It seems they never sealed the seam at the bottom which I would like to do to prevent further deterioration of the grout.

What should I use to seal this in? Should I go as far as I can all around the kitchen where the glass tile meets the granite? Or just the side the backsplash is on?

Depending on the color of the backsplash and countertop, decide on clear or colored caulking.
Silicone would work well, a very small bead between the two surfaces. It's more difficult to work with, smooth, and clean up but it will last longer and adhere better. The next option is a latex caulk that can be cleaned up with water. There are some that dry clear but come out of the tube white. I would seal any area where two materials come together-latex caulk anywhere that needs to be painted.

Allegedly the DAP 3.0 silicone caulk can be painted, but it really does cure crystal clear. For wet applications I prefer silicone vs acrylic with latex.

Reactions: semipro
Thanks guys, silicon it is and I'll try to get it anywhere I can access where the tile meets the granite counter.

It seems best practice is to use some tape on each side to ensure a clean bead.

Thanks guys, silicon it is and I'll try to get it anywhere I can access where the tile meets the granite counter.

It seems best practice is to use some tape on each side to ensure a clean bead.
This is what I do when appearance is important.

Use kitchen and bath-grade silicone. This usually has something in it to prevent mold growth in wet areas.
Don't forget to use backer rod if needed. You don't want the cross-section to be too thick or the caulk won't stretch as intended and it may pull away from the countertop or backsplash. You also don't want to waste a bunch of your sealant into the area behind the countertop or backsplash. Some great info here.

1610802771818.png

Reactions: SpaceBus