Bad to ovalize stainless steel liner for Woodstock Fireview?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Hearth Supporter
Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
My flue opening is about 5 and 3/4". Woodstock says you can ovalize the pipe to get it through a hole like that, but does that cause any problems? I think I should have good draw with a 30-foot masonry chimney in the middle of my house, but does ovalizing tend to choke off the draw or cause other problems.

The damper sits in a steel frame, which would not be fun to remove, so I'm hoping that won't be necessary.

Also, does anyone know... does the insulation start just above the flue opening?

You probably will not have a problem with draft because of the ovalizing.
We install em that ALL the time without issues.
If you're going to insulate - instead of a block-off plate - jam it in all around the liner
just above the damper frame - AFTER you remove the Kraft facing...

My centrally located ~ 28 ft chimney twists ~45 degrees twice near the fireplace entrance. One dealer told me that there was no way they were going to get a 6 inch liner in there. I hired a mason to line my chimney and it is essentially ovalized for about 2-3 feet. Liner is insulated as well. My draft is actually too strong.

Good luck.

The only problem I would for see is pushing a 6" brush through the ovalized section, but you could always trim a 6" brush to fit. Draft should be fine. You should be ok starting your insulation wrap above the damper.

DAKSY said:
You probably will not have a problem with draft because of the ovalizing.
We install em that ALL the time without issues.
If you're going to insulate - instead of a block-off plate - jam it in all around the liner
just above the damper frame - AFTER you remove the Kraft facing...

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Regarding the removal of the Kraft, I assume you mean from the insulation batts? What kind of insulation is OK to use? I am using the insulation that Woodstock specified and sells to wrap the flexible liner, but I gather you're talking about some additional batting to keep the cold chimney air from flowing into my living room. Are you saying a block-off plate is unnecessary if I stuff some insulation in?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.