Ban gas stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes woodstoves have changed allot. They work far better use less wood and make less creosote

Reactions: MJSullivan56
Now this tread is getting way to far into the political weeds it needs to come back or it will be closed

Reactions: MJSullivan56
THERE IS NO DEFINITIVE CORRELATION BETWEEN GAS STOVE USE AND ASTHMA.

The study that is being referenced was commissioned by a Green group who's charter is to eliminate the use of all fossil fuels.

Also, if they ban Gas Stove, then the additional Electricity needs to come from someplace. That will mostly come from Coal and gas fired power plants. Given the loss in transmission of electricity, you end up burning more gas in the long run.
Surely wouldn't be surprised of this. Everything is now politicized. As we all know there is a compromise to all technologies. I would suggest reducing pollutants from gas appliances (if they exist). Im sure the industry could accomplish this if it is truly an issue.
I surely wouldn't want to sleep in my furnace room (gas or oil).

Surely wouldn't be surprised of this. Everything is now politicized. As we all know there is a compromise to all technologies. I would suggest reducing pollutants from gas appliances (if they exist). Im sure the industry could accomplish this if it is truly an issue.
I surely wouldn't want to sleep in my furnace room (gas or oil).
They exist. Have you ever been in a house heated with ventless gas heaters? It horrible it smells and can be uncomfortable to breathe. There really isn't much more that can be done to clean up room vented appliances honestly.

You guys do realize people have been saying they are coming for your woodstoves since the late 80s now right? It's not happening sorry. I also really doubt this bill will go through either so it's a bunch of fuss over nothing
LOL Ask folks in California if they thought they would go after their lawnmowers. Bet no one ever thought that would happen either.

Reactions: sixer and Vg3200p
They exist. Have you ever been in a house heated with ventless gas heaters? It horrible it smells and can be uncomfortable to breathe. There really isn't much more that can be done to clean up room vented appliances honestly.
I have had a Jøtul ventless propane stove in my house for 28 years., I use it in the late Spring and early fall to take the chill out. Other than burning off the dust the first time it is used each season, I have never noticed a horrible smell or been uncomfortable breathing. I wouldn't use it if either of those things occurred.

Reactions: Todd and Vg3200p
I've worked in gas appliance design since 2007. I can tell you that emissions by stoves have risen dramatically. (There are limits on CO (800 ppmaf), but not CO2 or NO2). This can be attributed, largely, to stove manufacturers pushing the limits on power output. Some residential stove burners are over 20,000BTU/hr each. And that is a fully unvented, poorly performing, impinging, bunsen burner type flame, not a modern, vented, low NOx radiant like could be in the gas furnace (where the spec is 400 ppmaf). Couple burning enough gas to heat a whole house with a modern, tighter home construction and bingo! Yes it is poisoning us.

I'm too far right to fit into most threads on this forum, but too far left to fit in here. ;lol

If they make electric stoves tge only option they then have control of when you can cook or not.
th

If you honestly have the energy to get that upset about the phasing out of an already overpriced and clearly dwindling option for frying your morning eggs, consider yourself incredibly lucky.

Me? I have bigger things to worry about. Bring on the induction stove, if that's the latest and greatest, and a whole-house backup generator to take care of Wisdomoak's "they", who care when I can cook... or not.

Heard about this proposed gas stove ban on the radio today. My theory is that the gov wants all electric so they have more control over the infrastructure and then can freeze or starve out people they don't like or just shutdown power to more conservative towns. Wouldn't be surprised if they call for our woodstove soon to
I can picture the teams of EPA agents carrying 400+lb stoves out of peoples houses - LOL! Molon Labe

Last edited:
I've worked in gas appliance design since 2007. I can tell you that emissions by stoves have risen dramatically. (There are limits on CO (800 ppmaf), but not CO2 or NO2). This can be attributed, largely, to stove manufacturers pushing the limits on power output. Some residential stove burners are over 20,000BTU/hr each. And that is a fully unvented, poorly performing, impinging, bunsen burner type flame, not a modern, vented, low NOx radiant like could be in the gas furnace (where the spec is 400 ppmaf). Couple burning enough gas to heat a whole house with a modern, tighter home construction and bingo! Yes it is poisoning us.
Perhaps my leaky old 1840's farmhouse might be responsible for me not being dead. I never thought of that. Perhaps that's why my unvented Jøtul doesn't bother me.

@Ashful. I'm neither left or right I hate them all. I agree with you if better safer technology is there that's great to be used. I just don't like the idea of the gov. Telling me what I can and cannot buy. Nothing to do with the style of stove (I have electric) it's the principal. This is America not communist China or nazi Germany we are supposed to be a free people. I do like the tinfoil hat picture and admit I Def. Fit into that catagory

Status
Not open for further replies.