Banding trees??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I have 5 or 6 trees (red oaks) that I want to take down in my yard this year. I probably won't be able to get to them though until late May or early June and by then the leaves will be out. If I were to "band " them by cutting a one inch deep ring all around the tree would that keep the sap from rising and the tree budding out?
I know that I would be committed at that point but I have no doubt that these trees are coming out, I just can't get to them right away and I don't want to wait until fall.

Hi -

In my experience the prevention of leave is about the only benifit to the practice of banding trees. Handy in town, around areas one will need to clean up.

Over the years I've only done it on a few occasions. The wood was not any drier than green, even aften nearly a year, but there were no leaves to deal with.

Don't waste your time Greg. That little time will make no difference and will not stop any sap.

Get them cut as soon as you can and then plan on lots of time to season. After splitting, we always wait 3 years before burning that great wood. Then it is wonderful. Burn it sooner and it is marginal.

OK Thanks, I was more concerned about preventing leaf formation than getting it to dry faster. Bare branches I can cut right down to broomstick size and stack, when they have leaves on them its just a big pain in the a**.
I could just drop them all in one day and cut them later but the neighbors and the wife wouldn't appreciate that much. (its in the front yard)
This would be 2012-2013 wood anyway.

Greg, I wish I had this problem. ;-)

I don't know about oaks but some trees will leaf out and loose moisture faster after they've been girdled.

Also be aware of oak wilt, if there are any oaks nearby that you don't want to die. These could be infected if cut while active, and transmit the disease to other trees through root grafts. Not a problem if there are no oaks near enough, or if you cut in winter, or if oak wilt doesn't affect your area?

Years ago I used to girdle certain storm damaged trees,but if they happened to be way back in the timber and/or I couldnt get to them for a while I'd usually forget where they exactly were located.Now when I get free time & the weather cooperates I just drop them & clean it up one at time when noticed.Easier for me that way since I do 95% of the work by myself now,plus the wood keeps better standing up until I can get to them.Still mark them with a big fluorescent orange X when first noticed,can be seen from quite a distance then,even on cloudy or dark days.

alot of trees will still leaf out for 2-3 years after you girdle them. Some, like ash, won't.
I think Oaks are one of those that will still leaf out, but I don't remember. I would still count on there being leaves. Like someone else mentioned, oak wilt is a concern in many locations, so maybe wait till the fall when the leaves fall off?

The DNR here recommends not pruning Red/Black Oaks from March to June,unless you have storm damage & need to remove debris.White Oak & Bur Oaks are less susceptible to the disease,but not immune.

Status
Not open for further replies.