Barefoot Pellet spring purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big E

Feb 3, 2012
So, I was talking to my brother, and he said "we need to start searching for pellets for next year". I said I would go to the dealer today and talk to him...April 1-May 31 Barefoots will be $235.00 per ton. I ordered 18 tons-6 for me, 6 for him and 6 for my parents. I think he's will have 15 truckloads to get rid of. I think that's a great deal!

This guy started in the trucking business and would back-haul pellets, and decided he would try to sell a few truckloads himself...he since has opened up a second store and is one of the "big guys" now. Closest place to me is $270 per ton.

I'm just nortwest of you imacman. A little far to haul them though!
I did get 2 tons of BF a few years ago from a guy just north of Albany....he was coming down my way to deliver a truckload nearby, so I got them for $250 back then. You're price is really good. If I were you, I'd be buying as many tons as I could afford and had room to store.

Reactions: CT Pellet
Barefoot Pellet Co is in PA but very close to the NY line. If he is a trucker, he has a big advantage over other guys such as myself, as I have to pay a trucker to haul them in for me. Not complaining either....I mean, that is one of the beautiful things about this country and you have to try to capitalize on your strengths and the fact thaat he owns his own trucks is clearly a strength. But I will also tell you that I know what this guy is paying for the pellets, and at the price of $235/ton, he is not making a whole lot of money per ton either. For that price BigE, you are doing awesome - as this is, (in my opinion) one of the top five wood pellets anywhere in the country! I was paying more than $235/ton over this past winter. Congratulations on your nice score. Enjoy.

Reactions: Augmister
This guy started in the trucking business and would back-haul pellets, and decided he would try to sell a few truckloads himself...he since has opened up a second store and is one of the "big guys" now. Closest place to me is $270 per ton.

Nice find! You have almost an entire truckload yourself.

If any members are interested, I told him I would be on here, I will give you the contact info...

Barefoot Pellet Co is in PA but very close to the NY line. If he is a trucker, he has a big advantage over other guys such as myself, as I have to pay a trucker to haul them in for me. Not complaining either....I mean, that is one of the beautiful things about this country and you have to try to capitalize on your strengths and the fact thaat he owns his own trucks is clearly a strength. But I will also tell you that I know what this guy is paying for the pellets, and at the price of $235/ton, he is not making a whole lot of money per ton either. For that price BigE, you are doing awesome - as this is, (in my opinion) one of the top five wood pellets anywhere in the country! I was paying more than $235/ton over this past winter. Congratulations on your nice score. Enjoy.
Thanks CT. I enjoy helping out the locals. No offense to NEWP, But we supported them for a couple of years in multiple truck loads of purchases. Barefoots just burn clean and hot! I hope this guy doesn't lose his shirt and leave the business.

And a bag of them there barefoots you got a deal! ::-) ;)

You've already been added to da club! :cool:
J gets the Labatts, I get the pellets HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reactions: will711
Very nice find. They are 265 a ton here.

J gets the Labatts, I get the pellets HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'll take the Beer I know I spend more on Beer than I do on pellets / year;)

Big E great deal and welcome to the dwellers:cool:

I hope this guy doesn't lose his shirt and leave the business.
Well, one of three things will happen here. Either he will be content making ""super slim" margins when he could actuall be making more at what is still considered a fair price....fairly unlikely Or, possibly, he will find that at his margin, it is not worth selling pellets and say "to hell with it!"....also unlikely. Or lastly, he will say, "man, this is a lot of hard work. And there are a lot more incidental expenses thatn I had originally thought of. I am going to raise my price so that it is in line with everyone else's so that this business remains profitable and viable." ....More likely than the other two possibilities.
A great example of this is that guy SIB. (who I do not know) I mean, here is a guy, based on my calculations that would drive 50 miles or so to deliver and not charge for delivery. Yeah, he had a lot of customers, but the reality is that if you lose even just $1.. per sale, you will never be able to make up for it in volume. This season, he announced that he would be charging a small delivery charge and some people here refuse to patronize him for it. Oh well......
I started out the same way, selling pellets my first year at cost. I did this to learn the business and to try and develop a customer base. Yeah, I made a lot of friends, but my friends do not put food on the table for my family. Therefore, I had to raise my prices. I am willing to stipulate that although I worked my ass off, I also had a considerable amount of luck and was able to grow my business to "huge" all the while having what was at the time, "monster competition" just a few towns over.
I also understand the customer's perception as well. I mean some delivery charges in Connecticut here I need to charge over $100 for, depending upon the size of the delivery and the distance. But, here are some real numbers here....In 2012, I charged customers $148,000 in total delivery charges. My expenses to do this exceeded $140,000 to do this. Trucks are expensive man...really expensive. I also pay my driver exceptionally well and give him 2 weeks vacation as well as pay 100% of his medical expenses. So yeah, I could trim some fat there, but at the same time, in over two years, he has yet to call in sick and he handles thousands of dollars in cash every week and I have zero reservations about the accountability. So, yeah, it's expensive.
Anyway, back to the basis of this post. If this guy raises his prices next season, do not think he is banging you.....This is an honest man who is at best making an honest living. Send him my regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.