Barometric damper help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Harpo

Oct 31, 2017
Ozarks, Missouri
Hello,
I am in the process of installing a US Stove, model 1500 in my workshop. It is a new, but pre-EPA, wood and coal burning furnace. In anticipation of this install I purchased 6" Duravent double wall stove pipe. This is to connect to the flue at the rear of the furnace using their T-pipe. It will run vertically to where it meets a Duravent triple wall stainless chimney pipe and then exit the roof. It is a straight run with no obstacles. US Stove suggests a barometric damper in the vertical run just above the stove. Duravent sells a single wall T-pipe with a Field Controls unit installed, but not a double wall T-pipe with same.

First question; I already have a Field Control 6-R-C barometric damper. It will not slide over the inner sleeve of the double wall T. If I use the included collar it would slide into the T, thus possibly obstructing vent flow. Can I get by with using Duravent's, double wall, hand operated damper connector mounted to the rear of the stove? Because I am using double walled pipe which, seemingly, doesn't allow the installation of a barometric damper, do I even need a barometric damper with that pipe?

Second question is; With a barometric damper installed US Stove states the need to drill a hole in the pipe below the damper and insert a manometer to get a reading and to adjust the correct air flow. Do I really need to spend $100.00 plus to acquire a meter to do this? Is there something a little more sanely priced that will do the job?

I thank anyone for your response.

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
About the manometer - go to the middle of page 5 in the classified section. If he doesn't have any left, those are inexpensive to buy new from Dwyer.

About the manometer - go to the middle of page 5 in the classified section. If he doesn't have any left, those are inexpensive to buy new from Dwyer.
Thanks for the good lookin out @maple1
I do still have a few of those Dwyers if anybody needs/wants one. I personally don't know how anybody runs without one...I'm looking at mine everytime I load...

Not gonna be much help with installing a baro in double wall...never done it. You need double wall to meet proper CTCs?
Seems a waste of time money since the baro will be diluting the exhaust stream temp anyways...maybe go single wall then switch to double after the baro?

Works for me.

Attachments

• 4160EAB1-A51E-438B-809A-3791F5D7A42C.jpeg
    4160EAB1-A51E-438B-809A-3791F5D7A42C.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 437