Barrel stoves - How well do the bolt flanges seal? Ways to seal better?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FlyFish'n

Oct 23, 2021
OH
Those that have experience with the barrel stove "kits" - how well do the bolt flanges seal? If they seal poorly - are there coatings you have used (high temp sealant of some kind - like muffler/header gasket material or something similar along the lines of RTV/caulk) to get the parts to seal better?

Those that have experience with the barrel stove "kits" - how well do the bolt flanges seal? If they seal poorly - are there coatings you have used (high temp sealant of some kind - like muffler/header gasket material or something similar along the lines of RTV/caulk) to get the parts to seal better?
I don't see that it would matter if they seal honestly the doors don't regardless.

That’s my experience. Flange seemed to seal well enough but the door not so much. They are a crude and inexpensive option. If I wanted to heat a lean-to I’d choose a barrel stove. Otherwise I would not bother with one again.

Reactions: bholler
That’s my experience. Flange seemed to seal well enough but the door not so much. They are a crude and inexpensive option. If I wanted to heat a lean-to I’d choose a barrel stove. Otherwise I would not bother with one again.
For me there are so many cheap big old plate steel stoves around that are made to contain fire in a structure I see no reason to use a thin barrel for that purpose.