Basement install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
looking to have a basement install of pellet stove. I’m a bit limited on where in walk out basement it can go as far as through the wall installation. I may not have the clearance for adding 7 foot of vent due to that running into a window. I have seen a number of manual say that this needed for draft in case power go out.
Was wondering how needed this is and others out there have any experience with adding or not adding that 7 foot section.

What pellet stove model are we looking at here? 3 inch or 4 inch exhaust vent? 4 inch is better (required) for longer runs depending on the run of the pipes, look up EVL for pellet exhaust pipe.

Also, if you are hoping to warm up the top floors, the basement install is going to waste a lot of heat, depending how well insulated it is. If, on the other hand, you are looking to warm up the basement just to be in it, then yes, it will work. Over the years there have been plenty of threads from members discussing this, some happy with the results, others disappointed. It really depends on the house insulation and layout to get the heat to move around how you want it.

Good luck.

Before you worry about the venting requirements, choose a couple of
pellet stoves that meet the looks you want & will heat the area you need.
THEN read the manuals for the venting requirements.
You will find there are some that need NO rise & that many can be
vented with as little as 3 feet of rise.
You are not locked into 7 feet of venting.

I have a Hartman in my basement that is direct vented outside. My house is built into a hill and only 3 sides of the basement foundation are subterranean. The main purpose of this install was to keep the basement from freezing up and having frozen pipes. I heat my home with the wood stove that’s located on the first floor of the house. I’ve had several power outages and no huge smoke problems.

Best piece of advice I have is stay away from homedepot/ lowes vent pipe. The vendor of my stove gave me this same advise and I did not listen to him as hthe pipe he sold was 2x the price of the big box stores. I originally installed a kit from Lowe’s , with a rise on the outside of the house. The pipes leaked instantly , and filled up my basement with smoke. I tried adding screws , metal tape, high temp silicone to the joint, still got smoke in the house. Mad as all hell I returned the kit, went back to the old timer at the stove store and bought his pipe. The pieces all fit together in about 10 minutes I had a leak free direct vent. 10 minutes vs 4 hours with better results!

Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950
Also as other people stated , the floor always stays cold, however it does warm up the floor on the second floor, and if u run it 24/7 during the coldest months, you will deff notice a difference in the temperatures on the second floor. Your feet will thank you !