Basement Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DexterDay said:
The automation of pellet stoves is nice. I will still use the pellet stove. But the woodstove is to reduce my consumption. As of right now. I have only used 4 bags of pellets. Without the 30-NC. It would prob be closer to 9-12 bags.

Now I have to get into the wondeful world of pellet choices. Seems to be more varieties than there are species of firewood to burn. :p

How many ton do you think I'll burn? We like it around 70-72º in the evening, 66-68º at night, and I don't care how cold the upstairs gets during the day since she's at work and I'm down in the shop (hopefully, with a wood stove). Home is a well-insulated and fairly tight newer construction (9 years old) and is 1248 sq.ft. Open space all around, so no trees to block the wind. I'm guessing 3 ton since that's what they have on hand. That would be cheaper than my wood budget has been here for the last few years.

BTW how's that 30 working for you? I saw in your install thread those awesome secondaries you got from two month-old partially-seasoned wood... and that's in warm weather. You must be a natural, lots of new folks here have trouble getting good secondaries with wood that's been sitting for a year or more.

Is there anyway to hook up a forced air kit to a pellet stove?

I know this wasn't the question and know you already are aware of the environmental conditions in basements in your area.

That said, please consider an economic analysis of a series of options that might include no stove in the basement at first. There may be an insulation/crack sealing option coupled with a fortunate set of site conditions at your house that would let you work in the basement for a few months. A brooder lamp will warm the working area for fine handwork. Extra clothing. Meanwhile, keep an eye out for a good buy on class A. Cost of the stuff new is very high. But occasionally, excellent used chimneys come on the market.

The best payback option should become apparent as you flesh out the costs of different approaches. Perhaps the economic analysis will identify the course you are on as the best.

My basement chimney goes straight up through a closet near the ridge of the roof. Stove is in the center of the basement. No negative associated with the one square foot of floor space lost in the closet. This can be minimized with a metal chase for the two inch clearance on the class A. It is a nice warm closet when the downstairs stove is in use. Straight up eliminates the need to purchase expensive brackets, tees, and sundry parts associated with exterior installations.YMMV

Battenkiller said:
DexterDay said:
The automation of pellet stoves is nice. I will still use the pellet stove. But the woodstove is to reduce my consumption. As of right now. I have only used 4 bags of pellets. Without the 30-NC. It would prob be closer to 9-12 bags.

Now I have to get into the wondeful world of pellet choices. Seems to be more varieties than there are species of firewood to burn. :p

How many ton do you think I'll burn? We like it around 70-72º in the evening, 66-68º at night, and I don't care how cold the upstairs gets during the day since she's at work and I'm down in the shop (hopefully, with a wood stove). Home is a well-insulated and fairly tight newer construction (9 years old) and is 1248 sq.ft. Open space all around, so no trees to block the wind. I'm guessing 3 ton since that's what they have on hand. That would be cheaper than my wood budget has been here for the last few years.

BTW how's that 30 working for you? I saw in your install thread those awesome secondaries you got from two month-old partially-seasoned wood... and that's in warm weather. You must be a natural, lots of new folks here have trouble getting good secondaries with wood that's been sitting for a year or more.

Was just experimenting with that wood. Wanted to try to burn some just to see what it would do. I have been burning Pine and Silver Maple that was C/S/S in May and its pretty good. The pine is reallu good (16%) and the soft maple is about 20% give or take (depends on split size).

I am no natural. Just been reading here alot. I bought the stove in April and had left over Ash from last year (pre fab fireplace) and also was lucky enough to get 2 cord of 2 yr seasoned wood (really 2 yrs). All the Wood I have cut, except the Maple, Pine, Elm, and the Ash I got earlier in the season is gonna be for next yr. Those are the only 4 wood species I will burn this yr. Everything else was C/S/S too late or its OAK. I have over 4 cord for this yr. I dont plan on needing that much. But we will see. I LOVE the 30. What a beast. I read all last Winter about them. Thats why I was looking early for one. Got a great deal from a forum member ($800 for Everything)

As for how many pellets you need? Thats up in the air? I have used 4 ton (plus or minus) for 3 seasons. Most use between 3-5 if using as a Primary heat source. You will be surprised at how well and how warm you can keep it, by running low and slow as you stated earlier. I only use the T stat in the shoulders (now) and run 24/7 when it gets real cold.

Ask the previous owners about pellet usage. If they have 3 ton now, then that may be what they used. Thats if they used it for Primary heat? Best to ask them. But 3-4 ton is a good start. And there are a Bunch of different pellets out there. A Bunch.

DexterDay said:
Battenkiller said:
BTW how's that 30 working for you? I saw in your install thread those awesome secondaries you got from two month-old partially-seasoned wood... and that's in warm weather.

Was just experimenting with that wood. Wanted to try to burn some just to see what it would do.

And I thank you for being curious enough to experiment. You see, I don't have an "EPA" stove, so I can't experiment like that.

At two months cut and split, I'd hardly call your wood back then seasoned at all. Damp at best, I imagine.

It all depends on your floor plan. To me, ideal would be straight up to get the best draft. I'm guessing there will be little difference in the amount of class A you have to buy, maybe a little more in added cost in going through the additional floor and roof, but a bit of extra heat to gain. My first heat gain from going through the linen closet with a chimney was when my wife got home and found out what I had done. :) Boy did it get hot for a while. We already had a louvered door for that closet, and when the stove is going good, there is a small amount of heat coming from that closet.

Usually ideal doesn't work, and if I couldn't go straight up, then I would be going out the side, then up. I would not be looking forward to cutting a hole in concrete though. I would rather deal with the hole in the roof.

Wish I could help ou, BK but mine is through an exterior masonry chimney.

If I were to look at the options, I would go out and up. Expensive, but if you do a ROI on it, you should come ahead fairly quickly.

Battenkiller said:
DexterDay said:
Battenkiller said:
BTW how's that 30 working for you? I saw in your install thread those awesome secondaries you got from two month-old partially-seasoned wood... and that's in warm weather.

Was just experimenting with that wood. Wanted to try to burn some just to see what it would do.

And I thank you for being curious enough to experiment. You see, I don't have an "EPA" stove, so I can't experiment like that.

At two months cut and split, I'd hardly call your wood back then seasoned at all. Damp at best, I imagine.

I wasnt referring to that wood being seasoned at all. I have about 4 cord of season. And many a cord of unseasoned/WET wood. That was an experiment that turned out bad. Never to try again.

Looking foward to what you decide to do. Congrats on the house. Also looking for your thoughts on your new pellet stove.

daleeper said:
My first heat gain from going through the linen closet with a chimney was when my wife got home and found out what I had done. :) Boy did it get hot for a while.

Ha, ha! I am quite aware of the danger of burning up in that kind of heat. Trust me, she will be the one giving the final go ahead before I take any permanent action. ;-)

Battenkiller said:
daleeper said:
My first heat gain from going through the linen closet with a chimney was when my wife got home and found out what I had done. :) Boy did it get hot for a while.

Ha, ha! I am quite aware of the danger of burning up in that kind of heat. Trust me, she will be the one giving the final go ahead before I take any permanent action. ;-)

When we used our pellet stove for heating the house from the basement we used 4 ton, 200 bags.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.