Basement wall, up against boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc_Dad

Hearth Supporter
May 10, 2009
Maine
I am finishing off my basement. I want to put a wall up against my oil fired boiler and save as much room as possible. I'm thinking of making the wall removalable for service/replacement. I also want to insulate the wall to keep the noisy boiler quiet. I live in Maine and would like to be legal about this. Any ideas on design/material, etc... would be great?

What's the minimum clearance to combustibles for your boiller? It should be listed on a tag somewhere on the unit. I personally only feel 100% comfortable with my concrete wall being "close" to my boiler. Combustibles make me a little nervous....

Moved to the Boiler Room as it seems more relevant there...

On the topic, I would agree - look at what the minimum listed clearance to combustibles is for the boiler, that is your number... It might be possible to build something closer if one did 100% non-combustibles, but I can't think of an easy way to do that and have a movable wall.

Other issues to consider are

What kind of room you might need for minor services that wouldn't require moving the wall?

What are the requirements for air flow to the boiler - be careful not to restrict that or you can get all sorts of issues. You may also find there are minimum floor space requirements in code that are related to this, and / or requirements for ventilation area, etc.

Gooserider

If you have any concerns you can buy fire rated concrete board at your local hardware store, thats what I did to be in compliance with my chimney to ceiling specification here is a pic that kinda shows the fire rated board...BTW the whole install was inspected by the local code enforcement officer who said it looks up to code...Dave

Attachments

• exhaust-hood-7.jpg
    exhaust-hood-7.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 322
if there is no label consult the National NFPA 54 or the International IFGC Fuel Gas Codebook. Your local, or nearby code officials should be able to show you the pages that deal with clearences to combustibles.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.