Basement wood rack (floor & wall not included)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
I had some fun dreaming this up. I wanted something that was not fixed capacity. The floor directly underneath is concrete, so any mess is broom or shop vac. With a lighter wood like cherry, it'll hold 55" from the wall, and 48" in height sloping down from the wall. With heavier wood, I've filled it to where it bent slightly, but the gray PVC is supposed to be the stronger stuff.

In October, I keep it stuffed full, and then wind it down in the spring.

Since I'd never worked with PVC before, that horizontal join is because I had to shorten it because I didn't calculate the extra length of the 90s, and I had some short splits that year. Live and learn. My dimensions are 19"x19"x14".

IMG_5324.jpg
IMG_5323.jpg

Cool idea

That's a slick idea. Another way to prevent the vertical from bending over would be to use some T fittings to add angle braces, making it triangular.

I'm always amazed at how much wood it holds. 4-6 wheelbarrow loads, so I only have to schlep wood a few times a week during peak season. It's the basement so who cares because you don't see it anyway.:) One stick of PVC. Infinitely variable!

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.