bath tub refinish kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
has any one had any luck using the bath tub refinishing kits? I tried a couple years ago but it didn't really stick. Maybe I did something wrong. Or anyone have any other tips I could use? My tub just looks old..

I wish the box stores would start selling the tub reliners. Instead of it being such a mystery that you have to pay fly by night shysters to come out and do the job. The damn tubs are a standard size.

You talking about a cast iron tub? I'd like to know about it as well. My kitchen sink and tub and could use refinishing. I searched pretty extensively a few years ago and hit a dead end. What I learned was that you'll never get the same durability doing it at home. As I understand that original finish is baked on. I met a woman who sent her sink out to a company that did a real beautiful job. She wouldn't say what it cost, only commented that it was very expensive.

We have a shower stall with an ugly concrete floor pan that has been needing a coating of something for many years. I just tried a 2 part epoxy kit called "Tough as Tile" that I am very happy with the results - though time will tell how it holds up. The paint store mixed in a blue tint for me, and gave me some non-slip granules to mix in for the 2nd coat. Cleaning the surface and waiting the specified time between coats is critical. My only mistakes were using a cheap brush that the bristles fell out and had to be picked out of the first coat, and letting my sweat drip onto it while applying. Cleanup is brutal, if you get this stuff on anything! I do have to wait 5 days for it to cure, but this is just the basement bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.