Bathroom remodel - Testing Drains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TresK3

Jul 12, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
All The old copper DWV lines are out! I still have an issue of fitting the new PVC into the old space, but at least I'm at the re-build part of this phase. The copper was tight and the plastic is thicker, so it will take some phinagling.

Pretty soon I'm going to have to test the new drain lines. Other than just pouring a few buckets of water down them, does anyone have suggestions? It doesn't seem like I could get much volume/flow/pressure with a bucket. What about a garden hose? Other ideas?

Thanks!

Just a suggestion and if you do it you are as crazy as I am
Hook a fire hose to the pipe and a hydrant and let her rip
But don't blame me it it all goes bad . Just kidding a bucket
test should be enough

The bucket of water is what I did for my new run of 3" waste pipe. But before connecting the new run to the main waste pipe, I plugged it with a rubber stopper (Home Depot plumbing aisle) and then filled with water. Let it sit for 30 minutes and checked for leaks. A powerful LED flashlight and a dark room really makes it easy to find leaks.

How did you get the water out of the pipe, before removing the plug, so that you could connect it into the main waste? If I go that route, I'll have multiple gallons of water, with nowhere to go but into the downstairs office.

How did you get the water out of the pipe, before removing the plug, so that you could connect it into the main waste? If I go that route, I'll have multiple gallons of water, with nowhere to go but into the downstairs office.

Ha, I didn't think of that. I was looking up at my drain pipe from the basement so I just put a big bucket underneath. I still had some spill, but it fell on concrete so no big deal.

doing a plug test is a good idea. if you have a cleanout to your drain, you can plug the entire system and fill it with a hose. That is what the inspection test is... 24 hours of standign water, filled through the vent pipe...

a bucket test is probably pretty good though.