bathroom wall heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Faustus

Minister of Fire
I heat with pellets, the entire house is pretty well covered except the bathroom which is furthest away. Its also hard to heat with a lot of granite, marble floors etc.

I stood at a hotel on vacation with a built in wall heater and I said theres my answer!
I just finished installing this badboy today and while it was warm out, it got the bathroom from 70 to 99 in minutes!
wall heater.jpg

Yup, got a similar one in mine. I really wanted radiant floor heating under the tiles but when I looked at the cost, I said NOOOOOOOOO.

70 would be perfect. 99 is just insane.

What is the brand and model of the heater?

I hope you put it on its own electrical circuit. Pretty cool looking..

I hope you put it on its own electrical circuit. Pretty cool looking..

Some of these heaters have relatively low wattage demands. 500 watts is a typical size.

I've wanted to put in a good heated towel rack in our bathroom. It's at the top of our stairs so the wood stove heat streams right into it, but warm towels are sure nice.

Its from home depot, it was a little pricey but it was the only one with a programmable thermostat so its off all night yet turns itself on in the morning then off about when i'd leave for work. You can program different temps for 4 time periods per day and have weekends separate.
If I wanted this option on the regular heaters I would have had to find a programmable 120v thermostat and wire it up. Between the cost of the thermostat, the extra time fishing wires etc it was easier just to get this one. I only ran it to 99 to test it out. yes 99 degrees is crazy. sauna territory. it ramps itself from 200 watts to 1500 watts depending on how far away from the target temp it is. I installed a circuit for it. 20 amp breaker with 12-2 with ground romex which was recommended in the manual. the heater itself uses about 12 amps on max.

I always run new circuits for heavy duty appliances. My house is wired all crazy. This trip I also bought some extra breakers because i'm finally fed up with not being able to use the microwave and the AC or the toaster oven and the microwave at the same time. Def. gotta fix that.

its a farenheat smart series in 120 volt.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fahrenhe...in-1-500-Watt-Wall-Heater-FSSWH1502/202270122
there is a 240 volt model which I felt was overkill for my small/medium bathroom. I did some research about efficiency of 240/120 but in resistance applications like heaters, it is all the same. theres an advantage of 240 here and that is you can use 14 gauge romex but with 120 you need 12. small price difference for my short run and not worth 2 breaker spots in my panel for this.

When I renovated the bathroom 2 years ago, and went with marble floors, I really didn't know they would be so cold otherwise would have went with under tile heating elements. live & learn. This is a great plan B however because the floor eventually gets warm and so does the granite.

Reactions: Wisneaky
Yup, got a similar one in mine. I really wanted radiant floor heating under the tiles but when I looked at the cost, I said NOOOOOOOOO.

Is it that bad? I'm doing a complete master BR remodel and I'm looking into this but have not priced it out. I would need to do about 75 sqft and I'd use it to heat the room and likely remove (or shrink) the water baseboard radiator.

I also like the look of this heater. Would be great for the outside wall...as it is as far away as can be from my wood stove.

It is a good looker. The reviews are not as hot. Folks say the digital interface is poor.

I saw the poor reviews too and was hesitant. I saved the box mine came in just in case. You know sometimes people buy things like this and do it themselves and they just cant handle installing something like this. They will put it on 14/2 with a 15 amp breaker, or worse just tie it into another circuit. Or they will not cut the hole square and stuff the heater in there which will cause a fan rattle if the case gets distorted. Also they will pinch the ribbon cable when putting on the fascia and therefore cause the touch display to do all kinds of bizarre stuff.

I have a lot of experience doing things of this nature and I have 0 issues with mine. Read the manual twice and did it the right way. The touch interface is responsive and was easy to program.

I have purchase a lot of stuff with terrible reviews only to have it work just fine. I find it mostly with the computer hardware I purchase on behalf of my customers. The terrible reviews are just from people who didn't know. On the other hand if there are 100 reviews and 99 are terrible then you know something is up. If there are 3 reviews and 2 are terrible then it might be alright.

So far no issues. Every morning it auto kicks on 20 mins before I need to be in the bathroom and shuts itself off at the programmed time. There was one review that said every time the power goes it out it loses its settings. I've turned off my power several times to add more outlets to the house since its install and it retained its settings just fine. I had breaker off for hours.

Reactions: woodgeek
Good to know. I'm glad it's working well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.