Battenkiller / Wood I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not river birch.

I think Lee's correct on that last pic. Hard to tell for sure with so much outer bark missing.

Zap, here's a few photos from my black birch stash. You can see how much like cherry the bark can appear in some parts of the splits. The smaller branches (2-3") can look just like cherry branches.

Attachments

• Black-Birch.jpg
    Black-Birch.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Black-Birch-2.jpg
    Black-Birch-2.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Black-Birch-3.jpg
    Black-Birch-3.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 167
Battenkiller said:
I think Lee's correct on that last pic. Hard to tell for sure with so much outer bark missing.

Zap, here's a few photos from my black birch stash. You can see how much like cherry the bark can appear in some parts of the splits. The smaller branches (2-3") can look just like cherry branches.

I don't think we have any but I'll do some looking, thanks.

Zap

To tell the difference easily I shove my knife into it and then sniff the hole. Black birch will smell like wintergreen and cherry will smell like chit.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
To tell the difference easily I shove my knife into it and then sniff the hole. Black birch will smell like wintergreen and cherry will smell like chit.

Matt
YES, you are correct sir!

looks like yellow birch to me, too.

I have some that looks just like that where most of the time the bark appears to be silver, but in the Summer when the sun is on it just right looks quite golden.
Some in the wood pile, probably won't get to this year, but seems to be drying well and quite hard.

Here is a few pics of river birch

Attachments

• riv1.jpg
    riv1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 106
  • riv2.jpg
    riv2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 108
Status
Not open for further replies.