Battery-powered mower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
Looking for any thoughts on experience with battery mowers. My gas mower is dead, so I'm in the market for something. I've used smaller electric and battery mowers (16 inch). But I think I'd need something bigger. My yard is in the .5 acre range. Is there something out there in the +20" size that you're happy with? I've read the batteries can be an issue.

The older units used AGM batteries and they could be unreliable, but folks with modern Lithium Ion batteries seem pretty happy. EGO mowers get high marks locally.

Looking for any thoughts on experience with battery mowers. My gas mower is dead, so I'm in the market for something. I've used smaller electric and battery mowers (16 inch). But I think I'd need something bigger. My yard is in the .5 acre range. Is there something out there in the +20" size that you're happy with? I've read the batteries can be an issue.
My thoughts are this a chance to pick a whole battery powered equipment brand not just a mower. As many things, budget informs choices.

I looked into them in my local area and for me the battery time was just not their yet.. Would have had to have a spare battery or 2 just to cut my yard

I looked into them in my local area and for me the battery time was just not their yet.. Would have had to have a spare battery or 2 just to cut my yard
the mindset could be multiple shorter mowing sessions. Or more expensive mower with larger batteries. I don’t see any huge leaps in OPE battery performance in the next 24 months. its All about price point new tech will be expensive a second older tech battery is probably cheaper right now.

Evan

Your have a nice amount of ground a half of a acre and for me I would figure out a way to have electricity and get used to the cord. At least for now. I am old fashioned..Maybe will feel different someday..but not at this moment..clancey

I picked up an electric mower a bit ago and like it a lot. My kid seems to too. The battery is big enough to do my lawn twice, so you could probably get close to 2/3 to 1 acre of mowing if there's a house stuck in the middle of it, lol. The Ego mower gives a 21" cut and has 2 blades. I have the highest torque model as I could stall out my old 6.5hp gas Torro. When I started cutting my lawn it hadn't been cut in around a month due to constant rain. I stalled it out, but much less than the gas mower did.

I've noticed using the self propelled feature eats the battery much faster than not using it.

The Ego like has leaf blowers, weed wackers and snowplow. I think there might be an edger too.

I'd buy it again. I've been happy with it.

Yes, I know of a few folks now that have the EGO mower and really like it. Our tool library got one too and it is standing up well. Matt, do you have the 7.5amp battery?

I have owned two electric mowers in the last 6 years. Both still in use.
The first was a Lowes Kobalt brand and matching string trimmer. We bought them at least 6 years ago. We had a house on a 1/4 acre at the time. They served us well till we moved 2 years ago. I gave them to a neighbor that is (I think) still using them.

We moved to 80 acres of forest with an acre of meadow that has the house on it. There is less lawn to mow but now I also need to clear trails and thin trees. So, 2 years ago I bought Greenworks 21” lawnmower, string trimmer with a pole saw attachment and an 18” chainsaw. All use the same 80 volt lithium ion batteries. Most of the time is spent on the chainsaw. Being able to bring 2 or 3 fully charged batteries (from the other tools not being used at the time) into the woods saves time when I have a few hours of cutting to do.
I haven’t mowed more than 30 minutes at a time at the new place but I am sure that 1 battery, maybe a bit more would mow a half acre if you aren’t bush hogging. You can cut foot high grass but it will use more juice.

Thanks for the great responses. Our current lawn (if you can call it that) has very sandy soil, so it doesn't grow much. There's a small section that grows more than the rest and the old mower would get bogged down if got too tall. What's the noticeable difference between the 5.0 AH and 7.5? My father has a small Greenworks mower and it's light and easy to push. Are the larger EGO mowers quite light? I'm not concerened about the self propelled feature. Very flat terrain here.

I'd imagine the only difference between the batteries would be run time between charges. I've only used the 1 battery. My cordless drill, etc runs the same regardless of using the 2AH or 4AH battery. I think the smaller battery was only offered with the lowest cost mower. I think the mowers are light. My 11 yo doesn't have any issues moving it around either. I also like that I can store it on end. It takes up much less room.

Goats, but then nothing is safe. Lawn, flowers, bushes, it is all turned into compost. And saying, "Don't look at me, you brought them home." only makes matters worse.

• Haha
Reactions: ABMax24
Not even your car is safe from goats. It's a convenient place to stand a bit higher than the surrounding terrain.

Locally goats are used for small and large clearing projects. There are a few companies that rent out small herds of them. They are wonders. Even local governments use them for clearing out areas of blackberries and bramble. It's been so successful that they franchised the idea.

I bought a Ryobi 20" (not self propelled) from a buddy that was moving. I got the interchangeable handle system with a string trimmer attachment and a hedge trimmer attachment. 2 chargers and 2 batteries (6 amp and 4 amp). They all had about 2 years of use. My tractor broke down so I have push mowed my 1.5 acres 4 times now.

For 1.5 acres I go through the 6 amp twice and maybe half of the 4 amp. I am actually really impressed with the entire thing. I can get about 35-45 minutes of mowing out of the 6 amp battery. The string trimmer does better than I thought it would as well. I like not having t get my stihl FS91 out just to trim around the house quick.

If any part of this system goes bad or breaks down, I will replace it. I really like it.