Bayou Pellets feedback requested

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subsailor

Minister of Fire
Dec 8, 2011
Winthrop, Maine
Has anyone tried Bayou pellets?

i burned a ton ..i also got good heat.. just dusty dirty

I have a ton. So far only burned 3 bags. Decent heat but burns dirty. I probably won't use them again until the shoulder season. I need/want something that burns a little hotter then that.

I tried 5 bags, then went back and bought a ton. My impression is they burn hot, no ash build up in the burn pot, are dusty. I paid around $200. with my veteran's discount at HD, a lot less then what I have seen them advertised for by one of this area's distributors. My motivation is to keep trying other brands so I can improve my experience burning pellets. My next adventure is to get some 100% softwood. I think I can find Spruce Points in this area.

save$ said:
My motivation is to keep trying other brands so I can improve my experience burning pellets. My next adventure is to get some 100% softwood. I think I can find Spruce Points in this area.

save$, Careful as them softies are very addictive!

I burned 25 bags last season and they burned very dirty in my stove.

Imacman, softwoods are addictive! I burned 4 bags of Spruce Pointe to try and loved them so much, I went back and got 1.2 tons. Think I'll go back tomorrow and get another pallet. Local dealer down the street from me has Vermont Wood but will only sell 10 bags/customer. Wonder if that's better or the same as the Spruce Pointe.

j-takeman said:
I liked them. Bit dusty but good heat!

I think save$ also had good luck with them??

I hope so! I go with caution. I bought Canadian Energex for the fist 3 years before I go sick of clumping ashcakes in the burnpot, I had bought 4 tons of them for the last burning season, then tried MWP, liked them so much better, I kept the Energex in storage and used MWP. Tried mixing them, but didn't help. My point is that I was under the impression that Canadian Energex is softwood. The bag says "wood". So if I get a softwood that burns hot and clean, that will be impressive. The other part is that any increase in cost should also be equal an increase in performance. So far, with any pellet I have burned, if the temp gets down the teens or less, the furnace will kick on for a few minutes. then all is good for a while. Now with oil so darn costly, I would like to see if there is a pellet that burns better and keeps the furnace need down or not at all. Things would be OK if it were not for the wife wanting the house hot all the time. I can't change that, so I have to work with what I can. Buy the way, just pulled another bloated bag of Energex from a pallet that has been kept in the dry garage and kept with the plastic outer covering intact.

Problem with energex is they get fiber from the open market and nothing is steady. Some batches don't perform as good as others. Kind hit or miss! The green bagged Energex(from my speakings with insiders) are a blend of softwood and hardwood. About 60% softwood and 40% hardwood.

The upper tier softwoods are all softwood and very clean. Plus they burn HOT! But as always better to try a few bags to see how the NPS-40 handles them. JIC! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.