Franklin Fireplace Conversion to LP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cribbj

Jun 4, 2023
Montana
New member & first post, so please be gentle :)

First some background about my setup. My vacation/retirement home out here in Montana was built in the early 70's, and it has a Franklin type fireplace with swinging front doors and a screen in front and a double wall metal chimney. I'm converting it to LP in stages and am very pleased so far with the results. I'm currently using a triple pipe 18" burner rated for 75,000 BTU/Hr and an air mixer valve rated for 90,000 BTU/Hr and am feeding this with a 10 PSI Bayou Classic regulator with a downstream needle valve to control gas flow. This produces a very nice, clean flame with some blue right at the burner holes, turning to beige and yellow for the rest of the flame. No orange color and no visible smoke or soot.

I plan to replace the fixed 10 PSI regulator with either a 0-5 or 0-10 PSI adjustable regulator as the fixed 10 PSI regulator is really too much for my burner, and the flames produced by opening the needle valve more than 1/2 turn are too high. Previous to this I'd tried a fixed low pressure (11" WC) BBQ type regulator and the flames were really weak, hence the move to the high pressure regulator. Didn't have much choice in the pressure range as the Bayou Classic was the only HP regulator available locally. I do have the lower range reg's coming in from Amazon next week, however.

Now my question: The next item I want to install is a flame failure safety valve, however the commonly available valves that I've seen online are only rated to 65 mbar (1/2 PSI) so I really don't want to install one of those downstream of a 0-5 or 0-10 psi regulator as I would be decreasing the safety of the system instead of increasing it!

Suggestions/Recommendations?

New member & first post, so please be gentle :)

First some background about my setup. My vacation/retirement home out here in Montana was built in the early 70's, and it has a Franklin type fireplace with swinging front doors and a screen in front and a double wall metal chimney. I'm converting it to LP in stages and am very pleased so far with the results. I'm currently using a triple pipe 18" burner rated for 75,000 BTU/Hr and an air mixer valve rated for 90,000 BTU/Hr and am feeding this with a 10 PSI Bayou Classic regulator with a downstream needle valve to control gas flow. This produces a very nice, clean flame with some blue right at the burner holes, turning to beige and yellow for the rest of the flame. No orange color and no visible smoke or soot.

I plan to replace the fixed 10 PSI regulator with either a 0-5 or 0-10 PSI adjustable regulator as the fixed 10 PSI regulator is really too much for my burner, and the flames produced by opening the needle valve more than 1/2 turn are too high. Previous to this I'd tried a fixed low pressure (11" WC) BBQ type regulator and the flames were really weak, hence the move to the high pressure regulator. Didn't have much choice in the pressure range as the Bayou Classic was the only HP regulator available locally. I do have the lower range reg's coming in from Amazon next week, however.

Now my question: The next item I want to install is a flame failure safety valve, however the commonly available valves that I've seen online are only rated to 65 mbar (1/2 PSI) so I really don't want to install one of those downstream of a 0-5 or 0-10 psi regulator as I would be decreasing the safety of the system instead of increasing it!

Suggestions/Recommendations?
Why not just run an off the shelf gas log set?

None that I found would fit my fireplace. It's only 24" wide at the front, 19" at the rear, 18" high at the front, 10 1/2" at the rear & 12" deep (front to rear).
I.would look harder did you try woodland direct

I gave them a cursory look early on and even the 18" log set required more space than I have and cost 3x as much as I have invested so far. However I just noticed they do have a 15" log set available but with no specs on space required so I'll give them a call & will see if it fits, however I'd really like to keep what I have since it's working so well.......except I do need to add a safety valve....

I gave them a cursory look early on and even the 18" log set required more space than I have and cost 3x as much as I have invested so far. However I just noticed they do have a 15" log set available but with no specs on space required so I'll give them a call & will see if it fits, however I'd really like to keep what I have since it's working so well.......except I do need to add a safety valve....
You do realize if anything goes wrong with this setup insurance will not cover it right?

Yes and that's why I want to get the setup "right". So far it's been performing perfectly but I now need some "insurance" in case it doesn't.....

Do you know what type of regulator is used in a typical fire log setup and what pressure? I was VERY disappointed in the flames produced by a low pressure BBQ regulator

Yes and that's why I want to get the setup "right". So far it's been performing perfectly but I now need some "insurance" in case it doesn't.....

Do you know what type of regulator is used in a typical fire log setup and what pressure? I was VERY disappointed in the flames produced by a low pressure BBQ regulator
Most gas valves for gas fireplaces are set up for approximately 14" WC inlet pressure for Propane.

Most gas valves for gas fireplaces are set up for approximately 14" WC inlet pressure for Propane.
Thank you! I now wonder if my 11" WC BBQ regulator wouldn't perform because it needed more restriction? I understand these regulators have a built in safety that restricts flow if it senses low/no restriction downstream, ie a busted hose?