Beautiful day to be in the woods.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Started out by hanging a tree. I knew it would hang but not quite the way it did. There is a small elm and the ash dropped perfectly in a crotch of that elm. I cut as much as I could and now it will just hang around for a while. It is the tree with the red dot. I did cut a couple more so it is now about shoulder height.
Hangerwillstay.gif

Some future work to be done here but it is a bit wet there right now.
Leaningbirchtrees.gif

Some wood piles. 2010, 2011 and 2012.
Growingwoodpile-1-10-2012.gif

This year's start of the splitting pile.
Splittingpile2012.gif

Another picture of this year's splitting pile.
Startof2012woodpile.gif

Looks like some serious future btu's... time to start splitting that stuff!

Nice...stacks..and u got some work to do now...today was a beautiful day in the woods..I got off work at 2 and ran to the woods...I wish we had more days like this

very nice day. nice pics.

It got up to 52 here.

rain coming tomorrow here and then colder with some snow.

You might have some snow and cooler temps on the way later this week.

Temperature was in low 40's and sunny. Just a great day to be out. It is amazing how much mud there is too. That should be gone in another 2-3 days as colder weather and snow is forecast.

Stejus, I'll wait until March or April and do all the splitting then.

Looks like it was a great day. Hoping that shows up here tomorrow.

Looking good Dennis, you must be feeling better. Is that birch for the future work? Supposed to be nice tomorrow as well, you cutting? :)

Well, that birch will have to come down sooner or later. It is a bit wet by it right now so after it freezes up then maybe it will come down. Yes, I'll be out cutting again tomorrow. Can't let this weather go without taking advantage of it.

I went for a ride through the woods after I finished splitting and stacking a cord and a half or so. I didn't know it would be dry enough, or I would have been cutting. Lots of dead trees down. I can get in my woods with the atv, but I'm waiting for a freeze to get my truck and trailer into another place.
By the way, I never split wood in january. Always late spring/early summer after things dry up.

Beautiful!

fv

Wow Dennis very nice day I missed it because I was locked inside doing something called work sheesh I like to kick who ever invented that craziness after seeing those pics %-P

Pete

Backwoods Savage said:
Started out by hanging a tree. I knew it would hang but not quite the way it did. There is a small elm and the ash dropped perfectly in a crotch of that elm. I cut as much as I could and now it will just hang around for a while. It is the tree with the red dot. I did cut a couple more so it is now about shoulder height.

Some wood piles. 2010, 2011 and 2012.

This year's start of the splitting pile.

Another picture of this year's splitting pile.
NICE! This forum needs a LIKE button. :)

Glad to see you out and enjoying the great weather. Looks like some good piles accumulating. I thought I was going to go nuts today, at work, when I would have really liked to be doing what you were doing. ;-) Beautiful woods. I hope to see it in person someday.

It most certainly was a beautiful day. Good to hear that you got out to enjoy it and to stage rounds for future vertical splitting. Nice pictures!

Dennis it's hard to believe that it is mid-January and you got NO SNOW up there in Michigan.....unreal.....BTW nice pics, looks serene out there, glad you had a productive day AND got to benefit from it...

very nice looking wood piles, and yes a beautiful day out!!!

nice work dennis, looks like zap stacks!

Dennis, nice pics, glad your feeling better to get out. Be well.

Dennis looks like we will get another day or two of good weather! Although I am hoping to get some good frost in the ground so I can get back into a few places that I haven't cut much on in the past 3-4 years.
I hope you are taking it easy. Remember who won the race between the tortoise and the hare! :lol:

Gary

Looks good Dennis, glad to see you're up and cutting again!

Nice pics Dennis.
Glad you are out & doing what you love. Just don't over do ;)
Looks like fun to me :)
Enjoy the great weather

Backwoods Savage said:
Hangerwillstay.jpg

Looks like a great day Sav, we had a strong sun here yesterday but the colder weather is moving in, it's not going above 9 on Saturday.

zap

Very nice . . . and it is good to see you're feeling a bit better Dennis.

dennis-just wondering why you don't split until late spring? art

artmos said:
dennis-just wondering why you don't split until late spring? art

Because it takes him till spring to find the manual on the splitter and the milk crate is buried in snow, gotta stand that splitter up somehow? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.