Beautiful day to be in the woods.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HAHAHA_Wish- that"s harsh! hope it's not true! chief??

artmos said:
dennis-just wondering why you don't split until late spring? art

He's got no excuse this year, if he waits till late Spring it may be too hot to work :)

artmos said:

Art, I've done it this way ever since getting the hydraulic splitter. Well, I did take the splitter to the woods a few times when we cut some big stuff but that proved to be more time consuming than anything. Another reason is that I would have to change the hydraulic oil as it gets pretty stiff in the cold air and I just don't want to change it out. But really in the end it proves to be much quicker to do all the splitting at one time. Usually we start just before or after snow melt. That I've found is a great time to be out there when Spring is just starting and I love to be working at the splitting and stacking then. By the time the stacking is done there are many other things that are begging for my time.

I probably should have added too that those piles I mentioned, like the 2010 and 2011 wood. That is the wood we cut and split that year but there are many more years of burning. For example, that wood we cut in 2010 will not even be touched before the winter of 2013-2014 and there are 2 years worth in that stack. And so far, we've cut more than enough for another year so by the end of winter we'll probably have enough to run us through 2020 at least. That is one of our insurance policies and also one of our savings accounts. It pays much better dividends that the local bank does.

Yes, we did get out to cut more today and the weather was even better! We did hit 50 today. Unbelievable for this time of the year. I worked part of the time with no coat and no gloves. We do seem to be cutting up the lane a bit but that will be easy to level off when it gets dry as we are all yellow sand.

Today was the last day of fall. Winter begins tomorrow.

Backwoods Savage said:
artmos said:

It pays much better dividends that the local bank does.

Know what you are saying there Dennis! I saw 7000 shares of bank stock go from 20.00 a share down to 5.00! :coolmad: Plus they haven't paid any cash dividends for 3 years!

Gary

I should have invested in wood! :lol:

You are right Gary. We too watched some of our dollars shrink....

Status
Not open for further replies.