Bedroom wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, does anybody want to lug wood up to the bedroom and have the scraps and crap to clean up there? I dun tink so Lucy.

Skip the wood stove, just get a TV and a DVD player up there.

I sleep downstairs in front of my Woodstock gas stove all the time. I love it in the winter. It's also in a 1200 sq foot open space....my basement.

I would worry about a stove overheating the space. The dancing flame and heat would be nice. What about a pellet stove that you could burn on low?

Put the cable box in with those, mine gives off enough heat to keep a room warm on it's own ;hm

Reactions: melissa71
I think it could be a pain to haul wood, but then again...it's a labor of love.

How much love are you going to have after picking splinters out of your feet while trying to take your 3am walk to the porcelain throne?

This seems more appealing to me

80593866.jpg

At least I'd know what I had to work with before it surprised me.

pen

No kidding. Bought the little brown haired girl a big screen for the bedroom and pretty much eliminated the need for the oil filled radiator. And had to add an air conditioner for the room in the summer.

The International Residential Code (2009), which is the base building code for many states, does not prohibit installation of a woodstove in a bedroom, or even a garage for that matter (though there is language about height of firebox above garage floor).
However, your state or locality may have modified the base code via amendments. Also, other regulations such as NFPA codes may be incorporated by reference.
Typically, your best best is to ask your local building official. Be nice & polite. Training and expertise vary considerably, so you may get information that is not entirely correct or accurate. If in doubt, politely ask for the code reference/section that supports what the official is telling you to do.

At the end of the day, all I know is in a bedroom, if bedsheets or clothes need / are thrown, at such a time, the last concern should be where they landed >>

pen

Reactions: schlot
I think this whole thread is just a misunderstanding. His wife meant something completely different when she told him she wanted a fire in the bedroom.

Reactions: schlot
We have a stove in our bedroom. There are some pluses and minuses with having it there. Besides the um....well.....romantic reasons, it is great to awaken to a slight chill in the house, throw a log or two on and warm up the room quickly.

We put a small stove in the bedroom but it does heat the whole house. It wasn't idea, but our house is very small and doesn't have a central room that works better than our bedroom. If the layout of the house and room sizes allowed I would not have probably done it. But I am heating the whole house, not just "enhancing the mood" wink, wink.

If not careful we can roast in there with a good fire going, but with a helper fan (blowing into the bedroom) we easily keep the whole house warm. I've been able to keep the whole house at 70-72, but that means the bedroom gets up to 78-80. Warmer than I'd like but still works.

I'm going to get a larger helper fan to move the air, so hopefully the difference in temps won't be so great, but I'm fighting a cathedral ceiling in the bedroom also.

Bizarre... most old houses around here have fireplaces in the bedrooms. Those without fireplaces at least have thimbles.

That said... I can't see getting much use out of a woodstove located in a bedroom. I think you'd wake up uncomfortably dehydrated, and be too warm at night, not to mention the troubles with hauling wood (and bugs) up to your bedroom.

Like you we have an open fireplace in the master bedroom (which IS a nice thing to have at times... when the kids aren't around he he ;) ) but I also gathered that its just grandfathered in because of the house age and I didn't think code would allow you to build one new.

You would be amazed how a oil filled radiator heater levels out the temp in a bedroom in a wood heated house. With minimum current usage when it is turned on low.
+1 This is exactly what we do in each of 2 bedrooms. $60 or less for an approved unit, runs on low for of the day (usually cycles off) and most often we just turn it off at night (cool air makes for a better sleep, IMHO). Barely sips the electricity and does a wonderful job in a 10x12 room. Don't get me wrong, I would probably have a woodstove in my truck for the ride into work, if I could. But for all the reasons posted here, for me it's just not a bedroom thing. Especially if you have a reasonable size space in the stove room - then as DianeB mentioned, rig up an air mattress, or flip out that lumpy old retro sofa bed thing, and crash in front of the fire once in a while, like on the weekends.

With gas stoves in a sleeping space you also can only use one that has a direct vent exhaust system. A lot of the codes behind this sleeping room stuff has to do with somebody closing the bedroom door and the appliance sucking all of the oxygen out of the room. With direct vent the combustion air is drawn from outside the living space.

The Woodstocks are direct vent. I have a very healthy respect for fire, but I have no concerns about having the PH in my living room and going to sleep; I'd have no concern about having a different Woodstock stove in my bedroom and going to sleep. We all have fire alarms and CO detectors, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.