Beech? Really had no idea.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrond

Apr 3, 2013
Pumpkintown SC
So after reading it has been brought to my attention that beech is a sought after wood. Had no clue. Have about 40 on my property and never really thought of using them for fuel, until now.

On my property American Beech is thick as thieves. All of it is still in good shape though, so I'm going after the down and standing dead first. Thinking of replanting Black Locust though to replace any I cut down.

Not very much fun to split I remember. 25.8M BTU per chimney sweep dot com is pretty darn good.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
If I could I'd burn only beech, great btu's and it's nice and clean with smooth bark. I have none in my yard and never can find any, got about 20 pieces in a load once.

I got several sections from a scrounge a while back and had to pre-cut all of them to get them to split in the 5-ton electric. The grain was amazingly wavy. Don't know if they're all like that. Keep us posted.

Depend where it grew, not all of it is twisted up. be a little careful when splitting likes to pop apart with considerable force if somewhat dry.

I have about two cords seasoning. One will be ready next year. Correct about it popping apart when splitting. Great firewood though. Some say it rots if not used in a year. Not true, but it will deteriorate quickly laying in the woods.

It's mostly what I burn now. It doesn't have a lot of commercial value compared to other species on my lot, so I might as well get some heat out of it.

A large potion of the beech population has beech blight. They grow to a certain size and then start getting scarring on the bark which eventually turns into pockets of rock. It definitely is best split with a splitter. I dislike processing a tree as the crown branches are rarely straight so its take longer to trim up the branches. It also takes about twice as long as maple, ash and birch to dry. Once dry its doesn't burn hot but does burn long.

Overall its not my favorite but if offered I will grab it. Its regarded as a undesirable species by many woodland owners so they may not mind someone cutting them down compared to other woods.

Oddly, I've never had any problems splitting with an 8lb maul. I hear it's tough to split, but can't confirm.

It seasons rather quickly and is right up there with white oak in BTUs.

There's a ton of it in the woods around my house, but I've only managed maybe a small cord over the past 3 years. State game lands frown on you cutting down their trees.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
I have about two cords that have been CSS since January, most pieces showing up on the mm at 18-20% plus or minus. Burned a handful of it so far this season, and I burns hot and long! I love it, and compared to the drying time of oak beech is much faster and in my opinion burns almost as hot, just not as long. Fantastic firewood. Scoop it up any time you get the chance. Thankfully my property is littered with beech!

Deff going to fell one next week. Just to get ahead. I usually wait until January to do any cutting because from now until then any free time is spent hanging in a tree waiting for deer

Yes beech comes in different personalities. Ones that has been blighted is very difficult to split and is almost always has pockets of rot. I own quite a bit of garbage beech in VT. The cank has decimated it there. At least it still provides mast, the beech nut is good food. I still go at it for firewood but often whole rounds end up in the firepit. Where it isn't blighted (yet) and grows straight and clear it makes good firewood. Drys quick and high BTU. Beech lacks a dominate leader so out in the open it quickly becomes a bush with lateral branches everywhere. At that point it can be a knotty mess to contend with when splitting. Yard grown beech isn't fun to split. It also regenerates really well from its roots and off stumps. You shouldn't find the need to replant after cutting one and it probably can outcompete just about anything that you try to plant unless you aggressively control it.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I have about two cords that have been CSS since January, most pieces showing up on the mm at 18-20% plus or minus. Burned a handful of it so far this season, and I burns hot and long! I love it, and compared to the drying time of oak beech is much faster and in my opinion burns almost as hot, just not as long. Fantastic firewood. Scoop it up any time you get the chance. Thankfully my property is littered with beech!

Don't want to hijack the thread but here's how my shelves turned out.
20141023_200027.jpg
20141023_200039.jpg

I never thought of Beech not having a central leader. I will have to go look. They are dominant trees where they take. They tower over my white pines and that's a feat.
I find few teenagers, lol, but some. Blight is here but not too bad. The big grandpa trees get left standing. Not so much that they lack a central trunk but that their crown is massive. An old treecutter guy I know told me they get hung up almost every time. You take one beech and bring down 5 others is not a good day. So the monsters stay standing.
Baby beechlets are all over woods and their pale yellow leaves rustle long into the winter. They survive shade well and are companions to witch hazel and sugar maples.
The wood is brittle and hard and fine grained. It does pop suddenly in the splitter. Those heavy splits are trying for your shins and your toes.
Remember the poem..
Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year.

I burn a lot of beech from my property, but I keep it too for the deer. They have a habit of dying from the top down, so when I see that going on in the summer or fall I take it that winter or spring. They're really good (a little too good) at reseeding themselves, so beech areas you clear will need to be thinned within a few years otherwise it'll grow so thick none of them will grow too big due to crowding. I find it to split pretty easy, and it seems to dry fast in the sun despite being a very dense wood. Deer that have foraged on beech nuts have a wonderful flavor to their meat...bears and turkeys like the nuts too. This season was one of those that happens every 5 or 6 years though...not a beech nut on my property but the red oak more than made up for it.

Beech lacks a dominate leader so out in the open it quickly becomes a bush with lateral branches everywhere. At that point it can be a knotty mess to contend with when splitting. Yard grown beech isn't fun to split. It also regenerates really well from its roots and off stumps. You shouldn't find the need to replant after cutting one and it probably can outcompete just about anything that you try to plant unless you aggressively control it.

The Maine State Forester told me this same thing when he walked my lot with me.

Reactions: paul bunion
I had a huge beech come down in a windstorm last spring. Probably 60' tall with a trunk diameter close to 36" and branches 16" in dia. Four of the branches cut and stacked and 2 facecord.

Problem is the main trunk is near useless as about 20' up it was rotted out leaving just a ring of sapwood about 4" thick.

After doing some reading I found out that Beech are very susceptible to damage from the teenage years. Outwardly the tree may appear fine but damage from thirty years prior will cause the rot.

Got some monster beech in my piles. HEAVY 8 foot logs. Just moved the whole pile over to the splitting area, getting the yard cleaned up before we have to start thinking about plowing snow.

It's all '16-'17 wood I'm splitting now. Should be good stuff by then. MUCH more fun running the boiler on 16% stuff than past years.

JP

I have tons of it, not that much dead, but I really like to burn it. Never had much problem splitting it and mine do have a main trunk, big ones. My only complaint is they hold the leaves a very long time and it makes it difficult to hunt deer, but that is another story.

Love the beech . . . and beach too for that matter. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.